• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Attaching Vexilar to Fishing Boat

Question

I have a Vexilar FL-8 ice fishing setup (battery/case/flasher) with the floating transducer. Is there a kit available to temporarily mount the transducer to the back of a rental boat in Canada? I want to use it for a summer trip...
Suppose I could rig something up, but maybe there's something already out there.
thanks

7 answers to this question

I use the vex high speed transducer on my boat in the summer it works good, but I think the kit with ducer,mounting bracket, and power cord is like $80.00. In my little alumacraft I have held the iceducer over the edge, it works if your drifting or stopped but it is a pain.

I made such a unit for Canada fishing. I took metal strap (used to hole pipes in homes) and simply screwed the strap around the ice transducer onto a piece of wood. I used a piece of rubber material to hold the ducer against the strap. I measured the width/length of the transom on my small boat and made a clamp out of wood that slipped right onto the transom.

Vexilar makes a kit you can buy. I use it on two of my boats up on the Gunflint Trail area. Get the high speed ducer kit. If yuo get slow speed it will only read when you are not moving. They work pretty good.

Good Luck.

P.S. One thing I do is zip tie the cable to one of my transom holders incase the suction cup comes off, that way you dont lose it. Cause they will come off once in a while.

[This message has been edited by protrapper (edited 12-08-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12-09-2003).]

No need to spend any money on brackets or high speed transducers. Just put the ice ducer on the bottom of the boat with a little water and it will shoot right through the boat. I use my vex in a 16' Lund and it works great.

I have a Vexilar FL-8 ice fishing setup (battery/case/flasher) with the floating transducer. Is there a kit available to temporarily mount the transducer to the back of a rental boat in Canada? I want to use it for a summer trip...
Suppose I could rig something up, but maybe there's something already out there.
thanks