• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flasher imitator vs Flasher

Badgertah

Question

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Do a search here and in the Ice Fishing Main Forum and you will see why it's not heavily discussed. Few are taking it seriously.

I got the Ice Machine last week at Thorne Bros. I think it will be great.
I don't know why anyone would not take it seriously, I mean Lowrance isn't some new start up company, they've been making fish finders since before ther were fish finders.
The Ice Machine has the best of all the others, regular graph, split screen with movable adjustable zoom, and a flasher screen with bottum zoom plus it uses 5 or 6 colors not just three.
The main reason I baught it was I needed a flasher for ice fishing and a new graph for the boat so I killed two fish with one graph.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

For the summer it is a great unit, I looked into it as well, color is very nice in the sun...good pixel count and target separation.

It is nice that it has a graph and flasher, but I would imagine the liquid crystal would freeze up in the cold conditions compared to the other units,

The guys at Thorne Bros. told me that Lorance tested the Ice Machine up in Canada last winter and there were no problems at all down to -28 degrees.
When I first started ice fishing I used my Eagle Magna View and it worked fine. The coldest I remeber having it out was probably -15 and it never froze up.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

Anyone who discounts the Lowrance X-67 Ice Machine is missing the boat.

It's got a 6 ft bottom lock or self adjusting top and bottom settings.
if you're fishing in 23 ft of water, you cn set the bottom range for 24 ft and set the top range @ 6 ft to eliminate surface clutter, or...you can set the the bottom @ 24 ftand the top @ 20 ft so you have a 4 ft zoom window on the flasher.
Can't do this with the competition...
yet......

Digital depth readings.

256 color TFT screen vs 3 colors for the competition.

Easy viewing in direct sunlight

Adjustable "Ping" speed which means faster readings that a flasher because it's not driven by a flasher motor.

Adjustable "color Bar" so you can choose the color of the fish, lure etc.

Built in battery charger and status indicator/ gauge.

Summer use full screen graph with speeed and temp.

This unit is getting a lot of talk. I've ha great results with vexilar products and will continue using them but will have this unit along side of me this winter to compare to the rest

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12-08-2003).]

The Wizard, I haven't seen the Ice Machine and it every well may be a good unit. However one of many criteria for selecting any sonar to be used on the ice is its ability to deal with interference from other sounders. It's not that I choose to fish in crowds but crowds happen on the ice for one reason or another. The reports I've seen with on the X67 are they pickup interference from the Vex and MarCum. If thats the case you'll be disappointed in the X67 for that reason. I've been there with other sounders.

Awesome..Even though I didnt catch anything, I di know when the occasional fish did come through. Just in a bad area on Bemidji in a non portable house, good training night on it though..

The Negatives I see so far, the screen "could"be a little bigger but its ok..
The case is cheesy..

Advantages over the fl-18s are many, not even close....

I think anyone that uses this would take it over a Vexlar anyday, also it makes no noise another advantage I liked...

the ice machines is not even a real flasher and doesn't return real time flasher echos. its also has too many colors which make it hard to see targets. if you enjoy watching the colors, then you will be happy. if you want to know exactly where your bait is and know that you defiantly have fish under you, then you better get a marcum or vex. IMO, the ice machine is a rip-off of the zercom clearwater classic but with too many colors thrown in to confuse someone even more. not to mention worthless features like water temp and fish alarms. what the heck do you need that for when ice fishing?

This Lowrance is awesome. Used it again tonight. I could predict when I was going to get a hit, unreal.. Messed with the sensitivity, colors found real nice adjustments. Saw one fish @ 15 feet when I was fishing the bottom @30, brought it up, Bang, 14" Eye..

Cant wait to use it tomorrow!

Outperforms the Vex by a long shot!

Chad711, Yes could you elaborate a little more other then to say its better. Predicting a bite? I didn't know the X67 included a Crystal Ball in it's specs. I'd also like to hear about how the X67 handles interference from other sounders.
Anyone?

No Noise...

Clear screen, no "Flash" easier IMO to read.

You can set a fish Alarm.

You can zoom in at any depth, you want the bottom zoom @ 5 feet, 10, 7, 3 whatever, its better...

Have you guys tried it or are you just stubborn because you dont like change ?

smile.gif

yes I have seen it in action and its terrible. what do you need a fish alarm for when your looking at the screen already? no flash? what does that mean? the vex and marcum have zoom. the ice machine is not an actual flasher so you cant see how the fish actually reacting to your bait. its great that your happy with your ice machine but i don't think you have stated anything to justify its better than a vex or marcum.

its an LCD flasher meaning its just like a LCD graph. it is not real time like a LED flasher(vex and marcum). it needs to process the information before it can be displayed. the fast spinning wheel motors in the vex and marcums spin so fast the information is displayed instantly. people complain of the noise of these motors but thats how they work. on negative fish, they really help in seeing how the fish are reacting to your bait.

I saw one in action a couple times and it doesn't look like there is any more delay in it than a true flasher.
Lowrance has had real time technology for years.I used to use a cheap LCR for ice fishing a few years back and it had a Fastrack mode wich is real time.
My Garmin aslo has a real time display.You just read the column to the right side of the screen.
All that being said,in my opinion the Marcum is still on top when it comes to ice fishing,but there is a little more competition for the ice crowd now.