• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying marcum LX1 or vexular fl-8se

knoppers

Question

was thinking of buying one of these new units, any pros or cons, has anyone used one yet this year?
I don't think I need the added features of the fl-18 or the marcum lx3, since I also am planning to but a 3 man pop over portable, so lookin' for a cheaper sonar that works great.
lets do some icing!

17 answers to this question

The LX-1 offers many of the advanced features of the LX-3 minus the zoom capability. That would be a great unit to start off with. Once you become comfortable with the unit and funds allow, you can always upgrade to the LX-3.

The Marcum has more power than the vex. If you fish next to another vex you won't have any interference from it at all. Bought a vex for my wife and love it, but she has to play with it to get the right freq. when fishing together.

I just got done eyeing up the Marcums at the ice show this weekend, but have never used one - only my FL-8. As it stands right now, I would buy the FL-8 over the LX-1, but the LX-3 over the FL-18. I think the displays are better on the Vexilars, but until they come out with an adjustable zoom, I think that Marcum has the upper hand. IMHO, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the four.

------------------
Wables

I spent all day saturday on the ice, we had both Vexilar and MarCum flashers, there was an FL-8, an FL-18, an LX-1, and an LX-3 all being used. And they tell no lie, all caught fish and were successful, but the LX-1 and LX-3 had a far more crisper display and the target seperation is awesome in the MarCum products. We also noticed how the signal stays more steady on the MarCums and the Vexilar seemed to "shake" somewhat. The noise the Vexilar gives off is more then the MarCum as well. As far as the brightest of the colors, its a close comparision. But I must say, the extra target seperation of the LX-1 and LX-3 was nice when we hit those tight schooling and suspended crappies, not to mention the fish that hugged the bottom, and any slight rise from the fish was detected with the LX-1 and LX-3. Seperation as little as one inch can be detected. The zoom feature on the LX-3 was definitely a nice feature on those suspended crappies as well, it allows you to focus on the fish you are trying to catch, and it allows you to see the rest of the water column as well.

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

Wables? Just curious? In your opinion, why do you think the adjustable zoom has an advantage over the FL-18? You can see the same fish on the FL-18 in that same range as you can on the LX3 just that the LX3 will define them better. Say your fishing on top of 8 crappies in 15 feet of water, the LX3 with the zoom will show those fish as separate targets. The FL-18 will show those same fish but not as defined. You can only catch one fish at a time. When you compared the two units, what did you think about the FL-18's bottom lock feature for open water fishing? No other flasher has that option.
I'm glad you took the time to compare the two and appreciate your honest comments.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
320-293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

MJ5. Glad to hear you had a good comparison today with good results. Just goes to show your flasher only needs to mark three important targets in order to be successful for ice fishing. Bottom,presentation and fish.

Chris, good comment on the adjusting of the IR. Like I stated before, the FL-18 and FL-8SE have ten levels of interference rejection. Most people think they only have one. You just need to cycle through to get the right one.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
320-293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Derek,

Quivers...thats probably a better name for it. The read on the flaher sort-of quivered when in use, I've noticed this on more then one units, old to new. The LX-1 and LX-3 had a sharp edge on the read and was almost motionless.

The ability to see the suspended fish more defined helped with noticing how negative fish acted to various presentations. One thing I noticed with the LX-1 and LX-3 is that you don't have to zoom into the bottom to see seperation more clearly on those bottom dwelling fish, but with the FL-18 you had to zoom in the bottom to have similar results. Without zooming in the bottom with the FL-18 you just had a moving bottom, but no seperation, where with the LX-3 you didn't have to zoom to see the seperation. The more precise target seperation of the LX-1 and LX-3 is definitely nice to have.

Sure you will catch fish with both the Vexilar and the MarCum, but I noticed that those with the LX-1 and LX-3 could see smaller fish movements and you could practically see each and every fish on the screen with the LX-1 and LX-3, where with the Vexilar you sometimes had a big red line where three or four fish were.

I've caught a lot of fish with Vexilar and spent hours upon hours on the ice with them, but after seeing MarCum in action and becoming more familar with the LX-3, it didn't take long for me to pick up the MarCum and run with it.

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 12-07-2003).]

MJ5 - Very informative post. Yes my FL-18 and FL-8 did quiver in most situations with same or like units even when you do your best to knock out with I.R. What Vexilar does not understand is they need more power to achieve the suddelties and precision of the LX-3. Another point with regards to the MarCum LX-3 is that the sensitivity is more adjustable than the FL-18. The LX-3 is precisioned tuned and not sloppy like my FL-18. The FL-18 and FL-8 still does not achieve separation from the bottom better than my old Colorpoint and that's a fact. I still saw bottom roll on both vexilar units. Look at the specs 2.65" for the Vexilar and 2.15" for the MarCum in non-zoom.

Derek - The MarCum LX-3 has better target separation than my FL-18 or 8 for that matter there is no doubt about it and any non ice-fisherman can see the difference between the two displays. Yeah I can go old school too an say hey my Colorpoint marked fish too but really you can't compare the FL-18 to the LX-3. Until you compare both I'll listen, until then I won't. You pay alot for these units and the LX-3's performance overall and especially in zoom mode blows the Vexilar away.
Derek - I admire your passion for Vexilar and I believe they will pick up the slack and press on to build a better unit but right now the LX-3 is the top dog.

Well, I was the guy in our group who got to play with the LX-1 yesterday and am very pleased with it. After fishing with FL-8's my whole life and being bothered with the fuzzy quivering MJ5 described it was a big improvement to see that not exist with the LX-1. The target separation and crisp thin line display was working excellent on the thick schools of gills and crappie I had competing for my offering. I have heard people say that the Marcum's are harder to see then the Vexlar's but I don't know what they are talking about. The crispness of the LX-1 was much less straining on my eyes then any vex ever used in the past.

------------------
First Choice Guide Service
The Cass Lake Chain
no_spam.com
Phone: (612)730-no_spam

Knoppers, I got to use a LX1 for a short while yesterday, very nice. I own fl8's and I actually still use/prefer a Zercom CC over these. I have no brand loyalties or sponsers and I only tell it like it is. This year I'm finally going to upgrade and get me an LX3, gonna wait till a bit later in the winter to see if they'll be cheaper though! If you are trying to decide between a Vex8 and a Marcum LX1, the Marcum is the way to go for sure, for all the reasons mentioned above. Definetly a superior flasher. This I base on my use of flashers of various brands for 20+ years on the ice.

Regards....Fisky

[This message has been edited by fiskyknut (edited 12-08-2003).]

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I agree with Matt on that one.

The interference on the vex was minimal and they worked fine spaced about 25 yards apart.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12-08-2003).]