Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NotoriousBLM

Annoying Chevy/GMC Running Lamps

23 posts in this topic

Has anyone come up with a good alternative to the regular bulbs? Replacing them every 4 to 6 months is a pain. Tried just not replacing them, would like to keep them working. Thanks!

NotBLM

I think the only way out is to remove the bulbs on both sides and pretend they were never there. LOL

I'm a chevy fan but theres very few with both sides working.

[This message has been edited by straydog (edited 12-04-2003).]

Ditto...I installed amber turn signal bulbs and they are still going strong.

GM knows of this problem and now has a new bulb for it...try it you should have better luck now.
DaveO

I work for a auto parts store, I also own 2 Chevy Silverado pickups. Wagner 3157LL will solve the problem they are a heavyer filiment replacement bulb that will last alot longer.

------------------
Wishing I was Fishing

Thanks for you input. When I found out the original lamp was a brake lamp, it didn't make sense. I'll have to pickup some of those new Wagners.

[This message has been edited by NotoriousBLM (edited 12-05-2003).]

Quote--GM knows of this problem and now has a new bulb for it...try it you should have better luck now.
DaveO

------------------
http://www.icesaws.com/

While we're at it, am I the only one who has a problem changing the bulb on the drivers side?

Maybe I'm lucky. Mines an 01 and have not replaced a bulb yet.

Fish Toys,....No sutch luck....they just made a heaver duty bulb is all..but good try

Notor... what kind of problems do you have with the driver side?...mabie i can help yea?
DaveO

Can't seem to get my hand in a figure 8 without dislocating my shoulder! I have a Tahoe, so there might be a small difference between it and silverado's.

no there close to the same thing...do you take out the whole lite asm?

there is a clip( made out a plastic) on the left of the asm. that the whole thing comes out

For those of you who changed your light blubs to amber, would give the apperance of driving with your parking lights on. This is not legal in Minnesota. Thats why they only come on when you are "in gear" or moving. Notorious the bulbs you removed are brake lights or dual filiment bulbs which only one is used.

------------------
Wishing I was Fishing

when you open the hood.. over the head lite asm. there is two little angeled rods.. turn them and pull them out... this will allow the whole head lite asm. to come out...then you can get to the head lamp sockets VERY easy takes about 2 min. to do the whole thing.. Im off to the ice show now have a good one and good luck.
DaveO

There are no legality issues with amber bulbs.

As said above, there are numerous vehicles running amber driving lights from the factory. If that were the case, then cab lights on trucks would be against the law as well!

Minnesota State Statute 169.53 requires parking lights to be used when a vehicle is "Parked or Stopped" on a street or highway during a time when headlights on vehicles are required....My point here is that amber lights give the appearance of a parked vehicle.And yes I have seen Buicks with this as well.I also put in a call to a State Trooper to clarify this.

Thanks to those who read the whole thread and replied with informative information. I think this thread needs to be put to bed.

I'm just curious about the legality of switching the bulbs to the amber color.

I've seen quite a few new Buick cars on the road that all run with orange lights on in the front, just to the sides of the grille.

I can see truck guys tinkering and switching the lights out, myself included. But can every Buick owner on the road have done this too. Seems to me that they are coming this way from Buick so I can't exactly see where it would be illegal.

"Minnesota State Statute 169.53 requires parking lights to be used when a vehicle is "Parked or Stopped" on a street or highway during a time when headlights on vehicles are required"

I agree with the statute in this form. But it just states the required use (at night which is when DRL aren't on anyway) and there is no mention of the prohibited use of amber parking lights.

[This message has been edited by LMITOUT (edited 12-07-2003).]