• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Small Canvas Repair

Xplorer

Question

Looking at trying to patch a couple of small (1/4") holes in a clam tarp. Anything anyone has used that has been relativly simple to close these up? Maybe a glue-on patch?
I've already sold the calm to a friend but thought i would try to patch these before delivering it to them. Thanks for any suggestions.
Xplorer

10 answers to this question

Hey Chris:

On my Trap II I just use nylon self-adhesive fabric patches sold at Walmart in the sewing/fabric section. They're a coupla bucks for a bunch of sheets. And one of the colors in the pack is BLUE to match Clams and Traps.

The fabric needs to be warm before you do it (just room temp, not heated up), and make sure you've got a hard surface on the other side of the fabric tear to push the patch against. Good to rub it hard. I use a small board for that and sometimes sign on Mrs. Catfish to help me.

I prefer to put the patch on the inside. Easier to hide the dilapidated condition of my Trap tent that way, especially when you make sure the tear is closed tightly when you put on the patch. Sometimes, if the patch is on a heavy wear area, I'll seal all around the patch edges with hot glue, putting on a bead like calk.

Don't know if you have canvas or the newer ice armor fabric. I have the old canvas tent but the new ice armor traveling cover, and the patches work on both.

Good luck. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 12-01-2003).]

I have to patch a few holes Also.I picked up a spray can of fabric glue from a fabric store to try.I have not tried it yet so i have no input on how it will work!
But the Clerk said it worked good!But i wonder about the outdoor effects!

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)

Steve,
Thanks guy, thats exactly what i was looking for. I have the older canvas also, and thought if i could get them patched i would. One is a small hole, one is a wear spot (from an aluminum pole rubbing while towing cross-country in the otter).
Will stop by wallyworld this week. Think i will pick up the croxton bag, doesnt sound like the straps are a big deal. I did not see a ring on either end for a strap, but didnt look too closely. Mainly would be in the otter tub anyway.
LaX was nice, it was mid-50's when i left yesterday. Too nice to be the last day of deer season, made me wish i was on the river at Dresbach jigging for walleye's smile.gif
Xplorer

Jay,
Checked out your HSOforum, nice stuff! The patch kit looks interesting, do you know where i could get one for canvas? I see your in cromwell, i'm just over near cloquet. Wondering if L&M carries the stuff, or if you need to order in quantity as the HSOforum lists minimum order of 25 kits.
Thanks for the info.
Xplorer