• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum display help?

klbowe

Question

My neighbor has a Marcum LX-3 with a video problem that kind of looks like a vertical roll. The picture is perfect, you can see his split shot and minnow however the whole image/display rocks counter clockwise and snapsback to normal. It would be like if you took a jar of peanut buter and twisted the lid CCW and back, you can still easily read it but it is annoying.

I am sure it is under warranty but I am curious if anyone has a guess between it being the sonar or the transducer.

thx

7 answers to this question

Are you using it near to another sonar unit when this rough band occurs?

To me that sounds like classic interference being picked up by the unit? A counterclockwise moving band on the dial is more often then not signal interference of some type.

It pretty much does it all the time.

I presently have a FL-8 when they both are on his sends my FL-8 display spinning wildly. Normal I guess.

But to answer your question his LX-3 does it off and on even when alone. It just rocks clockwise and CCW as if there were ten foot swells moving the ice up and down.

As soon as I sell my FL-8 I will by a LX-3 and if there is ice we will swap the Xducers and see.

I had the exact same problem years back with my original FL8. It had been used heavily for a few years and the service center told me that I had worn out the motor. They replaced it and its still working well for one of my sons. Since your friend's Marcum probably isn't too old, he might have gotten one with a faulty motor. Sounds like warranty work.

klbowe, I had the same problem last year with my lx-3. It would rock back and forth a few times. It wasn't consistantly bad but figured it wasn't quite right. So I called the company and sent them the unit back after last ice season. They proptly sent me a brand new unit which I will try out as soon as we get ice here in central Iowa.
Drop me a line if you have more questions. Rest assured you've got a good unit from a quality company.

Sounds like the same problem I had with a Zercom Colorpoint, one of many problems, I just replaced it with a Ice Machine. I know there is a connection between the old Zercom flasher and the Marcums, same basic technology.
[Note from Rick: You are incorrect cwmn. The Zercom and MarCum technology are no closer than the MarCum and vex technology is. There is NO connection between the technologies I assure you.]
I stand corrected. CWMN
I have also heard the Marcum is very good about warrenty issues so there shouldn't be a problem with getting it fixed.
Good Luck.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

[This message has been edited by cwmn (edited 11-30-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 11-30-2003).]

[This message has been edited by cwmn (edited 11-30-2003).]