• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New square tubing for Otter fish houses?

KatKrazy

Question

My buddy just bought a new Otter lodge last week. When he was assembling it he had to deburr many of the holes and rough edges. I thought this was very poor quality but sometimes that happens. When he tried to collapse the poles, 2 of the 4 locked up and would not collapse. Otter customer service recommends lubing the poles with a WD-40 type lubricant(which he did). Otter is sending him new poles. My question is does anyone else have an Otter with square tubing that works great, poor or otherwise? I'm not sure I want to buy one if this is going to happen now or 2-5 yrs from now.

I really like the snap on canvas trim.I haven't seen anything like it.Its will certainly keep out those drafts out.
I am not to worried about the tubing freezing up.With a little lubricant on the poles, frost will have a hard time forming or at least sticking inside the poles.

It seems the square tubing does provide a much more solid structure. I'm very impressed with how strong it feels, should help things in the wind.

As far as the tubing not sliding, I don't notice it any worse or better than the conventional round tubing on my fish trap. Both are aluminum/aluminum and both will stick some if not lubricated.

The canvas on the Otters is of very high quality. I can't imagine anyone not being satisfied with the canvas on those - I had no problems with the canvas on my fishtrap with a little TLC, which is of lesser quality for sure.

I think the square tubing will pay in the end. Currently, I have a fish trap 2, about 5 years old. Very happy with it. The round poles are starting to get harder to push-up, as they are sticking. I have sprayed lub on the poles, which helped a little. It still doesn't work like the first couple of years I owned it. Next year I will get the Otter with the square poles.

I bought the Lodge last year, round poles.

I have had problems from DAY ONE with poles binding inside each other. I did lube all of the poles at installation, again last year, and again this year. I have used it 3x now this year and 2 sets of poles are completely jammed.

I just took it apart tonight in the garage, one pole pair was so gouged up it will not go back together.

Otter will be hearing from me next week. Good thing it is going to be very cold , I won't be using my portable anyway.

Just got an otter cabin and had no burrs on the poles. Lubed the square poles with WD 40 and they slide like a dream. My buddy has an otter with round poles and mine slide just as good as his. Square tubing is definitely stronger. Love the new trim lock system used to attach canvas to sled.

------------------
Not that there's anything wrong with that!?!

Picked up a otter lodge at cabelas a few weeks ago and all I can say is WOW! That thing is SWEEEEEET! Had no problems with it and my Fish trap is hopefully sold! I don't think I would ever own another USL product!