Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JIGLFIN

Ice Auger (cylinder style)

8 posts in this topic

Any thoughts, on the value of this tool, to
drill or reopen old holes in hard water?

Ed;

The business end looks like a pipe /w
cutters around the bottom. It cuts a
cylinder of ice. (promoted by "Ernie the
angler').

JIGLFIN;

sounds like a giant hole saw,jus wunderin how much a cylinder of ice ways thats 8"x2',or how do you get the ice out of the cylinder. have you actually seen one of these in action?

------------------
Icedog1

Tom;

I saw a short blurb on a commercial,
looked like the cyl. of ice stayed in
the hole, possibly would be pushed under
the ice /w a spud bar etc.

Was hopeing one of you fm'rs had experience
using one, redrilling holes in a perminent
house.

JIGLFIN;

I saw something like you described on Big Stone Lake over forty years ago. The guy who had it claimed it was the the auger of the future. Apparently, they didn't have all the bugs worked out because that was the only one I saw. As for the ice cylinder that was cut, he pushed it down and when it bobbed back up, he grabbed it and pulled it out of the hole. Can you imagine if everyone used those augers and left ice cylinders laying on the ice to run into? As I remember, it would cut through two feet of ice. The guy didn't have an answer to what you do when the ice got thicker than that.

Ah, a hole saw, for ice...yaaa...?

Ya...lots of bugs there I think? Only good to use in thinner ice and/or to ream an old hole. But then you need to swap bits all the time, naaa...not for me. More work then it's worth I think?

If you go with the Jiffy Stealth you can chew through old holes with ease and any amount of new hard or old rough soft ice. I would go that rout myself.

Maybe if a guy had one on a T-handle and used it only to ream old shack holes? Still sounds like way too much work to me. I would fire up the Jiffy and get it done now, then get to the fish'n.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
backwtr1@msn.com
><,sUMo,>

Thanks for the input fellow's.

I'm just looking for a better "mouse trap" to deal with the fumes, noise and what I'd call sno-cone syndrom, resulting, while re-cutting holes in the shanty.

P.S. I did mock-up and test an exhaust
transfer system, last winter, that show's some merrit.

JIGLFIN;

[This message has been edited by JIGLFIN (edited 11-29-2003).]