Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trucker Jim

Which Rod & Reel?

3 posts in this topic

I'm in the market for a rod and reel combo for casting plastic worms. I've been using an open face Shimano reel along with a fairly stiff 6' rod which has been ok, but I'm thinking I'd like something that would give me a little more distance. What do you all like? Any suggestions out there?

LIKE MOST THINGS IN THE OUTDOORS,EVERYBODY HAS AN OPINION!MY PERSONAL CHOICE IS A SHIMANO OR QUANTUM BAITCASTING REEL SPOOLED WITH DUPONT MAGNUM 7/20(WHICH IS GETTING HARD TO FIND!)OR TRILENE XL 14# TEST. FOR THE ROD I LIKE BERKLEY LIGHTNING RODS OR BASS PRO SHOPS BIONIC BLADE RODS 6.5~7" LENGTH HEAVY ACTION. YOU NEED SOMETHING WITH A FAST TIP SO THE ROD WILL LOAD GOOD WHEN CASTING, BUT STILL HAVE PLENTY OF BACKBONE FOR PUSHING STEEL THROUGH PLASTIC. I HOPE THIS HAS HELPED YOU.

------------------
FISHIN ROD

Thanks for your thoughts Fishin Rod. One thing I decided to try is switching to 10# fire line. I've been surfing other sites and sounds like fire line is popular for getting that extra distance. I have a Shakespear Ugly Stick that I havn't been using (I snagged it off the bottom of the lake one day) with a softer tip which should help absorb shock on this no stretch line. Maybe I won't have to shell out cash for a new rod (rats!).

[This message has been edited by Trucker Jim (edited 08-06-2000).]