• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The 2005 Detroit Tigers will.............

buzzsaw

I remember that post from the Windy City Bandit! grin.gif Heres a quote after the Twins spanked the Tigers.

The Twins have won nine straight over the Tigers and are 59-19 against them since 2001.

"They humbled us," said Young, who went 2-for-4. "We definitely wanted to show them this was a different team. Unfortunately they beat us the way they've been beating us.

Still waiting for Backdatbigrigup to reply...... ho hum. wink.gif

Tigers infante after Twins thumping.jpg

Togers Robertson bombed.jpg

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep looks like this key free agent signing is already paying BIG DIVIDENDS.

Tigers: Hernia sidelines Ordonez 4-6 weeks

The News

Magglio Ordonez was diagnosed with a hernia on Friday and is expected to be sidelined four-to-six weeks. The Tigers' right fielder has been limited to 10 at bats this season because of a variety of ailments, including diverticulitis and a viral infection. Tigers' president and general manager Dave Dombrowski told MLB.com that the other maladies essentially masked the hernia.

Our View

Poor Maggs! If it's not one thing, it's another. The knee problems that limited him to 52 games last year are no longer an issue, but one has to think the Tigers are feeling a little skittish about the five-year, $75-million deal they gave him. Fantasy owners should unfortunately plan on being without him until June. Meanwhile, the Tigers will continue to make do with Marcus Thames and Bobby Higginson in right field.

Dumptroit starts out 3-7. Lots of things to look forward to in Dumptroit. Well on there way to a 48-114 record. Not really that bad thou- Dumptroit, you should be used to it. You've only lost 204 games the last 2 years. What's another "manager of year" (as quoted by Dumptroit's spokesman Ican'tbackherup) like year for Dumptroit??? Manger of year only in Dumptroit where they put up with garbage becasue the whole city is a dump. I didn't say subs, but that city is a DUMP!!!!!

Whew... and I was beginning to think it was just me piling on! I guess when you go out and talk smack about how good your team will be and at the same time talk down the 3 time Division champs you'll get the wrath of Twins fans. I know it's a long season and hopefully "Cantbackitup" will decide to come out of hiding and participate in what he started (yes, I started this thread but you threw the gas on the fire) I would hope he would want to explain why things aren't going the way he said they would for his beloved Tigers.... I mean with all those free agent signings they have to be better right?? I'm just curious whats happening in Detroit? Why the poor start and will they truely get to the top as you've stated? blush.gif

I'm back! I knew you guys were going to have fun with "the sweep". First of all, congratulations are in order. (Not that any of you had anything to do with the way the Twins played! grin.gif)...I still know that the Tigers are a much improved team over last years 29-game turnaround. The pitching has always been in question, but the hitting (actually, run production) all but disappeared against the Twins. They pretty much matched the Twins in hits (per game) but didn't capitalize on the baserunners. Too many left on base. Oh well, that's just one series. 5 more to go. As far as the pitching went...it just plain sucked. Jason Johnson and Nate Robertson should have just stayed in their civ'ies and "called in sick" or something! Just plain got hammered. But...it's a long season, and there will be losing streaks and winning streaks and unforeseen injuries and the return of Ordonez to look forward to. As it is, without Ordonez the Tigers were still leading the A.L. in batting...so things aren't all bad confused.gif!

P.S: I work 60-70 hrs a week. Drive semi's from Monday night to Saturday morning, so that's why it's hard for me to respond to your assaults any sooner than the weekend. During the week, I only have 8 hrs (off a day) to sleep, do chores and play with the "li'l tyke"...so forgive me if I have a "shortened life" away from this forum...grin.gif

Enjoy it (first place with the White Sox) while you can...it won't last. Nothing ever does...and the Tigers will come roaring back! (mark my words, never mind, I'll mark 'em for ya!)...as soon as Dmitri Young stops making ridiculous statements!!

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

What r u looking at. Thier 3rd in avg. Twins 4th.OBP twins r 1st and Detroit is 7th. SLG Twins r 4th and Detroit is 5th. OPS twins r 4th and Detroit is 6th. League Twins Tied for first Tigers tied for last.

Quote:

What r u looking at. Thier 3rd in avg. Twins 4th.OBP twins r 1st and Detroit is 7th. SLG Twins r 4th and Detroit is 5th. OPS twins r 4th and Detroit is 6th. League Twins Tied for first Tigers tied for last.

Get your facts straight, and provide the proof as I did below, courtesy of MLB.com...

Tigers are first in the Majors in runs scored, hits and RBI's, 2nd in the A.L. (3rd in the Majors) in average at .291 (Twins are 7th in the A.L. and 13th in the Majors hitting .263 as a team), 4th in the A.L. in OBP at .344 (Twins are 5th at .337), and SLG pct. the Tigers are 3rd in the A.L. (6th in the Majors) at .448 (Twins are 10th in the A.L. and 19th in the Majors at .406)...

Click on the link below (and once there, click on any statistical categories to see the rankings for that category):

MLB Sortable Team Stats (4/19/05)

And to think they are only one game under .500 with those bats! What happens when they cool off? Cuz that pitching staff stinks on ice! Besides Detroit has scored alot of runs in a few games this year that PAD their stats, it's not like they score 7-8 runs EVERY game, which they would need to do to win more often.

Detroit is Detroit!! AVERAGE... go ahead and disagree... blah blah blah

When do we get to sweep your kitties again?

Oh and I forgot to remind you what a great draw Detroit is in other markets!!

Jay Gibbons homered for the Orioles, who climbed into first place in the AL East with their weekend sweep of the Yankees. Each of those three games was a sellout, but only 16,301 showed up for this one -- the smallest crowd in the 14-year history of Camden Yards.

What does that tell you??

If the hernia is what Ordonez' main problem was/is, and he gets that problem taken care of, he may return to his old form and be a premier outfielder...then, if Detroit's young starters (Ledezma, Bonderman, Robertson) can develop the way they should, the Tigers can be very, very good next year. I just see too much inconsistency in the starters for them to be serious contenders this year. So, to the point of the post, The 2005 Detroit Tigers will...

fight it out with the Tribe for third place in the division, and finish right around .500.

However, the 2006 Detroit Tigers will...be serious contenders with a legitimate candidate for the Cy Young award (Bonderman).

This year:

Twins

Sox

Tigers

Tribe

Royals

Hey everyone the first pitch is about too go off at Detroit and there is about 13 people in the stands. 3 time defending division champs in town and thats the crowd that comes too the ballpark?? Yeah can you feel the excitement over those tigers?

The real question is why did Gardenhire keep rusty old Mulholland in the gae?? He blew it in the 8th inning and again in the 10th! He has nothing in the tank! Take away Torri's gaffe in the first inning and game over in nine!

He needed to leave Mulholland in there because the rest of the 'pen had been used extensively the day before (in the 10-9 game against KC). In the long run, the Twins may be better off giving those guys a day of rest - even with the loss. Don't want to overwork the bullpen early in the year...

Quote:

Hey everyone the first pitch is about too go off at Detroit and there is about 13 people in the stands. 3 time defending division champs in town and thats the crowd that comes too the ballpark?? Yeah can you feel the excitement over those tigers?

What are you talking about?! There were 18,873 tickets sold for that game. Weather may have kept some people home, but the Tigers are drawing extremely well this season, home and away... Stats for: Twins at Tigers (4/22/05)

Remember when I wrote this (a few posts back):

Quote:

Enjoy it (first place with the White Sox) while you can...
it won't last

I'm enjoying this season already...

Oh, and this witty gem from "buzzbreath":

Quote:

Oh and I forgot to remind you what a great draw Detroit is in other markets!!

Jay Gibbons homered for the Orioles, who climbed into first place in the AL East with their weekend sweep of the Yankees.
Each of those three games was a sellout, but only 16,301 showed up for this one
--
the smallest crowd in the 14-year history of Camden Yards.

What does that tell you??

Um...let me see...NOTHING!!!

I could care less if anyone watches the Tigers play right now...all that matters is that they win. That trivial stuff will all change, as soon as people take notice of the Tigers resurgence and return to prominence, just as TV announcers have mentioned Detroit leading the A.L. in many offensive categories. It takes time, my little friend. I'm a patient man. I've had to be with the Tigers and Lions. I was with the Red Wings and Pistons too and look at them now. Elite franchises in their respective sports.

It takes time, my little friend...it takes time.

P.S:

Looks like your "one-time division winning, supposed Western Conference Champion, premature emancipation Timberwolves honeymoon run" is over already. They may have to rebuild, starting with a coach! That Cassell/Sprewell thing really worked out didn't it? Pretty much like all the other Timberwolves moves have...grin.gif

Oh...I forgot to mention the new Hennepin County stadium deal is trying to emulate the Detroit's downtown skyline view, except that only the people seated on the 3rd base side will have that view of the Minneapolis skyine. Leave it to the brilliant architects to design a biased stadium.

Why not rotate the field another 22 degrees and put the view in centerfield? confused.gif

They designed it that way because the twins are actually exciting to watch so instead of being bored at tiger games and looking at the buildings and day dreaming,in Minneapolis you can focus on the game not the scenery p.s........ who cares???

Hey the cockroach climbed out of his hole! (I mean if were going to call each other names, cockroach sounds like a good one for you right)?

Quote:

What are you talking about?! There were 18,873 tickets
sold
for that game

The key word is SOLD Mr. Captain of the not so smart team! There was nobody at the game.... then you get snow in Detroit at the end of April!! Why weren't the architects smarter when they built your stadium... I mean a retractable roof should have been in play right?

P.S. Did your closer blow another save against the Twins a few days ago?? I think it was moonshot Morneau who blasted off! Although Mulholland gave it away... he isn't our closer and plays very little as opposed to your overrated/overpaid closer. I guess were like three weeks in and your onlt 6 games back of first place?!! GOOD LUCK KEEPING PACE! grin.gif