• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat storage question

Bob O

Question

I am considering storing my Lund boat next to the garage this winter. I would use the canvas towing cover and tie a large plastic tarp over that to fully cover the trailer. Are there strong arguments for inside unheated storage instead?

3 answers to this question

Inside would always be better, but not everyone has that option. Take a 2x4 equal to the length of your boat and lay it across the seats. This will give you the tenting effect suggested above. Also, you may want to watch the roof line on the garage. You don't want all that water, ice and snow falling onto your boat.

The only advantage would be protection from the wind and precipitation. The tenting issue has been pretty much covered here but just pay special attention so that the tarp is secured down very well so that a strong wind doesn't pull part of it off and let the precip in. If you want some good ideas on keeping the mice out, check out the boat winterization and storage topic that's also on this forum.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com