• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor brand and performance

Question

Do the same hp motors of different brand have beeter performance than other?In other words will a Force motor of say 75hp give you the same top end speed of a motor of a different brand?
The reason I ask is that I am going to buy anew boat this winter and already have a Force 75hp motor that runs great.I noticed that guys in newer boats that are larger than the one I currently own were running faster with less hp than me.
For example..Gullguide has a 17 ft crestliner with a 70 Yamaha and I have a old(very leaky) 16 ft Starcraft with the 75hp.Gullguide was running about 5mph faster than I was.(I am assuming that my performance is due to hull design and not hp)If I were to put my motor on a 17 ft crestliner would I have the same performance as Gullguides 70 Yam.?
I wonder if any of this makes any sense?

15 answers to this question

Fishhead,
As long as your engine is running good, and if you are set on using it with your boat for some time, perhaps the prop is where you may want to focus your attention. Most outboard manufactures, on motors that are sold as "stand alone" units, select a prop that would deliver good general performance for a range of boats that the motor will be used on. I would recommend a visit to a reputable prop shop or marine dealer, explain what performance characteristics you would like to enhance, and see what they recommend.

Do you have tach on your boat? If so find out what your max operating range is for your motor. If the tach shows your getting to that range then your prop is fine. The Yamaha will out do a Force but like you refered to weight, hull design,all have key factor.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 11-17-2001).]

Thanks guys for your replies.
Now for another question.
Is it worth buying a new boat and putting your own motor on it?I am planning on going to a 17ft welded model.(soo tired of leaks)Would I be saving any money(not getting a package deal)I realize that in the long run resale may be a problem but I believe that I am buying a boat for the next twenty years.
And Do you think that a 75hp is enough power for say a 17ft Cliner Fishhawk or a 17 ft Tracker Targa?I'm not after the fastest boat on the lake,but would like to see a top end of at least 35 to maybee 40 mph.

I would try to part from the Force motor. I believe parts are getting hard to find. AS far as a welded boat your better off going with a good riveted. A weld has no cushion or flex and if it breaks it has to be rewelded causing the metal to weaken even more, where as rivets flex or cushion upon impact. I run a 17 foot Lund with a 75 Yamaha with 2 people fully loaded, trimed out, running at 5500 rpm i get 35-37 mph GPS

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 11-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 11-22-2001).]

My Force motor is actually made by Mercury not Chrysler.It is the same as a Mercury 75 except for the fuel injection.But thanks for the warning.As for weld vs rivet,I read an article when I bought my little jet river rig.It said something along the lines of what you are talking about but it was talking about impacts from solid objects.
I believe that I will be getting a Cliner and I know guys who have had these boats for many years and never had welds crack.I also know that a Lund has a tough hull and are built well but I am after floor plan and they don't provide the plan I need in the size I want.Other boat manufacturers I just don't have confidence in when it comes to the riveted hull.Its all going to come down to dollars and how far I can get with what I have.I may end up with the "Hundai" of all boats,the Tracker.I have to have the boat for next years FM league tourneys,unless your going to be my partner grin.gif

DMan,

I'd take a ride in a Crestliner before I road in a Lund anyday. Crestliners are very smooth. And, I have never heard of a Crestliner hull cracking because of wave action.

Fishhead,

You're making a good choice. I have a buddy that is looking to get rid of his 1999 1750 Fish Hawk with a 75hp Mariner. Let me know if you're interested.

As a point of information, Mercury (or rather Brunswick Corp) bought Force from Chrysler, but a Force outboard is not the same as a Mercury outboard. Don't be mislead on this point.

Most Mercury and Mariner motors of the same hp will have interchangeable parts -- no so for Merc/Mariner and Force.

Well, if the info came from a salesman, then who am I to question its veracity?

Seriously, altho part of the Merc corporate structure (i.e. Brunswick), a Force is not the same as a Merc or a Mariner.

Fishead,
Can't go wrong with a Crestliner!
I once worked at a resort where we ran Crestliners. Resort boats take a real pounding, more than any single owner could ever do, and never saw a weld break. Besides, there is a FULL 20 year warrantee on the hull, unlike others that depreciate over the course of the warranty.
Your motor runs great! Why get rid of it?
You'll save a bunch on getting your boat, and I know you as a guy who takes performance over how it looks. Maybe have the hood painted to match the boat if it matters at all.
A 75 will do you fine. It all comes down to prop and hull design. What model are you looking at?
See ya this summer.
>"////=<

I am looking at the 1750 FishHawk with console steering.I would like to have a walkthrough but it is more important to have flat top rod lockers.( I have a rain suit smile.gif )I think you can stay a little more organized with them.My jet rig has shelves along the gunnels and everything is whithin reach and no tangled up rods.I like the Crestliners because they are designed to float level wich helps prevent the wind from catching the bow and blowing you all over.A big problem that I had with that old scow I have been using.