• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MarCum LX-3/vex mount on shack

rod bender

Question

8 answers to this question

I built my own bench system in one of my old portables, two person trap. But you can do this on most of flip-overs too. I attached a set of 2x2's side by side directly in the center of my bench on the underside. The 2x2's extended out about a foot. I then bought an extra depth finder mount (pretty cheap) and attached it to the end of the 2x2's. I also built a small shelf underneath the 2x2's for an extra battery. Now all you have to do is attached the flasher to the mount and hook up the battery. It will stay in place as you move from spot to spot and it is right on your path of sight (inbetween your legs) as you watch your rod, line, and hole. It was nice not worrying about extra stuff on the ice front of you and you didn't have to pick it up when moving around. All you do is take it off after you are done fishing, only takes a few seconds.

The only down side is if you want to hole hop without the portable you have to reattach it to your portable ice carrying kit.

I plan on rigging a new mount on my Fish Trap Pro once I have the time.

It's very easy to do and inexpensive as well. Just another adjustment for making things easier I guess.

Now that I have two flashers I can keep on mounted on my trap and the other as a portable unit. Then I get the best of both worlds smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

Hiya,
Sounds like a slick set-up.

Another option I've seen is using a RAM mount. On a flip-top style sled, bolt the RAM mount under the seat so it's between your knees, then drill a small hole through the tub for the power cord. Inside the tub, (either on the inside of the tub itself or under the seat, depending on the seat style) build a battery box out of 2x2s and 1/4" plywood, and bolt it to the sled as well. Line it with rigid foam to keep the battery from rattling around (slide the foam out to take the battery out). Nice thing about the RAM mount is you can pop it on and off pretty easily, and you can position it how you want it and can shove it off to the side out of the way when you want to.

Cheers,
RK

Hey Rod Bender -
RAM mounts are a mounting system that's pretty popular with boat riggers. Basically the system uses hard rubber balls on the bases which attach to the mounting surface and the plate that holds the unit. Between them is a clamshell clamp with a spring and a tightening knob. The clamp fits over the ball on either end, and when the knob is tightened, it fixes the mount in place. A slick deal because, since the base and unit are on ball mounts, they can be moved independantly in any dimension - in other words the base of the mount can be on a vertical surface, or wherever. And, when they are tightened down, they DO NOT move unless loosen the knob and move them. I have them mounting depth finders on my boat console, and I can crash waves at 40 MPH and they hardly wiggle.

You can find them at places like Thorne Bros, Reeds, Cabelas, and probably a lot of good boat dealers.

Hard to explain so hope that made sense, but they're worth checking out.
ram.JPG

Cheers,
RK

[This message has been edited by Paul Waldowski (edited 11-20-2003).]

The RAM mounts are a very good option. If you can score two base's set one on your Ice Pack and the other where you need it on your shack. Then it is a simple matter of couple connections to exchange the application. I like the extra hight it offers, and the ability to change the pitch where you need it. Vexilar has a new quick disconnect mount that adapts well to the RAM base.

You need to get a extra power led and would I recommend quick connect clips or a 12V accessory plug to make it easy to do in the cold.

Check the bargain bins or the bargain cave guys. You often can score RAM components there that can be adapted to the ice Pack. The GPS and Cell phone sized RAM ball system is heavy enough to accommodate the power head of a Vexilar or MarCum unit.

You see Vexilars all the time on RAMS at Devils Lake ND. They mount them on the dash of their trucks or on the door panel. You could easily do the same on an ATV.

One thing about RAM system components. You can always use them somewhere. They are like Tinker Toys for Da Big Boys.

wink.gif

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>