• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Inverter question???

tightlines

Question

I installed a 400/800 watt inverter in the new shack and was fooling around in the shack tonight with the inverter going and watching the tube. I was wondering if all inverters have that annoying little fan, or if the smaller watt inverters have no fan. What would happen if I disconnect the fan? I assume it would overheat? For a little fan it is quite noisy and annoying..

9 answers to this question

I have an inverter in my shack with the same power as yours. I love using it, but your right about the annoying fan. My inverter has a low humming noise that the fan makes. However, it sure comes in great when wanting to run accessories.

Beef

Tightlines: You don't dare let the fan NOT cool the inverter. To disconnect it will most certainly cause the unit to over heat and fail. What you could do, is to put the inverter back in a place where it will still get the cooling it needs, but be someplace where the sound will not disturb you. Back to a issue we hashed over before, I think that a screw in 120vac florescent bulb produces the same lumins that an incondesent will, but only take about 1/5 the amps to light it. I'm going to do the experiment as before to check out the amprage drain to the battery. I believe that a florescent bulb does not burn as brightly when cold, but in a heated house it should be a viable alternative.... Kaz

------------------
KAZ

A cold flour will cause the ballast to restart constantly drawing alot of power. If your talking the screw in type, the draw would be less and yes a good alt.

chunk
(oh yeah, brown elec.)

[This message has been edited by chunkytrout (edited 11-20-2003).]

Unfortunately the fan must run…
I have the same wattage version in my Explorer to run my Laptop for work. It does get annoying I know. But you didn’t install all that Stereo and fancy TV for nothing did you??? I just turn the radio up enough to wash out the noise.
By the way, Very Very nice shack you got their, Tightlines she looks great.

I do have a question or 2 or 3 0r… (And sorry if it may have already been addressed on the other forum but does your frame have “Leaf Spring Suspension” under it???
Also I never did see (6) holes in your pics that Paul posted. Is there (4) or (6) if so how far did you make them apart.
Last one, on the “Two Burner End” did you hinge the counter tops above the holes on the stove side or the wall side???

Thanks
S.D.

------------------
Hook Em Good!!!!!!!

S.D. Ice Angler;
NRA, DU, NWTF,
Varmint Hunter
& NAHC Life Member

When buying a Compact Flaurescent bulb for outdoors, make sure It's an electronic ballasted one. These do not require warm up time. A 27 watt 5100k is what I recommend. 5100k being the color, which is a very bright white. As far as converters go, I've had very good luck with the Husky 400 from Home Depot, and I have tried many other's. As an electrician for outdoor lighting, I've had a lot of Exp. with these items, but It's only my opinion, I could be wrong smile.gif
Dennis Miller..
O.K Kevin

I just bought a coleman 400/800 from cabelas and I am going to return it. The no load amp draw is .4MA and the fan is noisy. I did a google search and found some smaller wattage (150-200) inverters that had a no load draw of .1MA. Is it safe to assume that this reduction is from the fan possibly being smaller? This should increase my battery life also shouldn't it. I will be mainly running lights in the house. By the way, how much run time do you guys get out of your inverter with a small T.V., lights, Etc. Thanks in advance.