• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hydrofoil?

Fishinglund

Question

I am considering putting one of those hydrofoil fins on my 2002 60hp Mercury 4-stroke.(12 pitch prop) I have a 16'6" 1675 Lund Explorer, and it seems to take a long time to get on plane. Once it is on plane, then I can get about 30MPH. I'm satisfied with the speed, but I would like to get out of the hole quicker.

Has anyone ever used these things? I have heard a lot of good things about them, but I have heard a few bad things too.

Thanks for any info!

Fishinglund

10 answers to this question

fishing lund I have a 2 stroke 60 hp merc on my boat. I spent a lot of time proping it with the hydrofoil on off different pitches, al and ss. I found it comes on plane faster stayes on plane easer, goes about 2 mph on top end. I don't know anything it does't do better

I have a Doel-Fin on my 50 horse Merc on my pontoon. Sure makes a big difference with that. I have another type fin (I think it's a Stingray) on my fishing boat's 85 horse and that thing planes out alot faster than it did without it. Seems to keep the prop from cavitating as well. I think they are great...T

Thanks for the responses guys!

Are these things hard to put on?

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with these fins? I read somewhere that it puts more stress on the driveshaft that goes into the lower unit gears which could cause premature wear. I would think it would help reduce stress if it helps the boat plane quicker, but I don't know.

Are ther any brands that are better than others?

Thanks,

Fishinglund

Thanks again for all of your responses. I guess I'm not sure what I read about extra stress on the lower part of the motor, but it sounds like a lot of people have used hydrofoils and not experienced any problems so the stress must not be too much of a factor.

Does anyone have a favorite one or are there any to avoid?

Thanks again,

Fishinglund

Let me hitch a ride here. I have a 35 Johnson, about 20 years old, on a heavy deep-V 16 Lund, also about 20 years old and with deck, storage, console and carpet.

Takes awhile to get up on plane. Which hydrofoil would you recommend?

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]