• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat drift/drag

zepman

Question

Was wondering if anyone knew the different boat characteristics that allow one boat to drift slower/faster than another. Is it boat depth, weight, or a combination of factors that will make one roll faster than the other.

12 answers to this question

The more boat sticking above water the more the wind will catch it. A gust of wind will move a light boat faster and sooner then a heavy boat. A boats draft will also have an effect on drift.
I can say I've never taken wind into account when purchasing a boat so I'm curious to the question.

All I know is that I have an older Crestliner pro style that is fairly deep with quite a bit of freeboard and fairly light, and on a windy day boat control with a bow mount motor can be a lesson in frustration. It is all over the place frown.gif

I don't think I would give up the freeboard since I fish some of the larger lakes and I believe it safer and more comfortable. But maybe something a bit heavier would help.

If its possible back troll but if not you may want a bigger bowmount trolling motor. Maybe a transom mount in a fixed position providing some power and also use the bowmount for steering. Maybe a drift sock? Big deep boats can be tuff in the wind. Heck my little 14" can be tuff.

I have enough power most of the time I have a 55 pound thrust, it is just that to keep it straight when the wind is switching or if I want to troll slow along a break line it sucks. There is the constant corrections, and lord help your if need to retie or get a fish off the hook, you never know where you are gonna wind up smile.gif

I guess the main thing is if you wanna troll slow with the wind up around 15 to 20 mile an hour it sucks. It is about then that I back troll with the 70 horse, but being a console that is less than perfect too.

I guess you can't have everything eh smile.gif

A heavier low profile boat will have less trouble in the wind than a lighter high sided boat.Bass boats are very easy to control in the wind.Most are designed that way.There are a few walleye rigs out there that take into consideration that you need some freeboard for bigger water but want to catch less wind.Two I can think of are of course Ranger and some of the Crestliner models.
I use two trolling motors on my River Pro HiPro when the wind gets to be a problem.I point the bow mount forward and set it on 1 or 2 and use the transom mount backtroller to pull backwards.You fight the bow mount and the wind but it really helps to keep control.Some times I flip it around and go forward fighting the backtroller.Another advantage to having two trolling motors is you can slide sideways or in any direction easily by pointing both motors in the same direction.