• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garmin GPS 72

icemac33

Question

I think this is the unit I've decided on.Try to talk me out of it if you think you should.Also, I searched the archives and saw that people haven't had that much luck with WAAS.Most of these posts were from a year or two ago and I was wondering if things have improved on this frontier.I'm a freak about buying new toys and the amount of research I put into it.Nothing beats hearing from people that are running these units.Last toy was a Vexilar and I'm loving every minute of that.Thanks for any info.Bring on the cold.

9 answers to this question

That unit gets lost in the woods too easily. Mine only lasted 3 days, but YMMV smile.gif Seriously, it was the first GPS for me, bought on recommendation of a friend. My only complaint with it was having the display on the bottom/buttons on top. Maybe if I'd had it longer I'd have gotten used to it, but I guess I'll get one with top display next time around.

I have the 72 and to tell you the truth, I have hardly used it. I plan on using it a lot this winter in conjunction with the Tonka Reel Bottum map. If all those inside turns, and drop offs coincide with the GPS, then I will be very happy. It did take me a while to figure out why it is a little difficult to get used to. Buttons would be better on the bottum. Don't they try these things before shipping them out.

Okay can someone tell me what the differences between the 72 and the 76 are? They appear to have the same features outside of pixel count and the 76 having an external antenna hookup.

I've wondered why they went to the buttons above the display as well. My trusty 10 year old 45xl has the buttons below the display, this does seem a bit more user friendly.

fiskyknut

[This message has been edited by fiskyknut (edited 11-12-2003).]

The 76 has a little better picture resolution.It is also external antenna ready and looks like it comes with the pc interface cord which is looking to be about 30$.It looks like I will need this for reel bottom software?Derek-is that right?Also,anyone have a thought on the magellan sporttrak.-Icemac

This last spring I bought the 76, and it did its job quite well. A few downsides though, its accuracy, with WAAS on, I don't think was ever more accurate then 15 feet. Which I never really needed more then that, but I think it said three meters in the manual. It also lost its signal quite easily, when my dog stood over it, passing under a bridge, ect... For everything else it was great, very weather resistant, floated, survived all the bumps and dropping I put it through. I guess if I had do it again, I would spend the extra $$ and go with a mapping GPS instead. Hope this helps.

------------------
FF

[This message has been edited by fishingfrenzy (edited 11-16-2003).]