• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

wiring LED hole lights

fishing addict

Question

I have seen discussions about using LED lights for hole lights. I have been looking around and only radio shack carries these. the problem is that the brighter ones that I think I will need are rated for only 2.4volts . How can I wired these to work in a 12V system. Has anyone else done this in their fishouses ? Any advice is appreciated. I was told that resistors may be used to do this but I have no clue how to do this and the guys at radio shack had no clue either.

8 answers to this question

get some from a semi truck the all 12 volts, just find a truck shop and they will have them. I think a gave $35 for two a few weeks ago for my truck.
good luck

Many trucks have converted to 12V LED's and there are a bunch out there to chose from. A surface mount cluster is a fair option for a ice house. If you snoop you can even find ones that are ball mount and turn 360 to focus the beam. Prices vary and some can get pretty spendy. This surface mount is a reasonably priced option for a ice house.

SURFACE MOUNT PIRANHA® LED 2"
CLEARANCE OR SIDE MARKER LIGHT

164saf.jpg
146sl.jpg
Colr is an issue, Red and amber are better to protect your night vision. I find Amber is a better working light then Red.

Round, 2" surface-mount.
Features a sealed, polycarbonate lens and housing.
Operates from 8 to 16 volts.
Does not require "top" positioning
and accepts a 2-prong plug.
Available in amber or red.
M164SA amber
M164SR red

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

What is the purpose. I mean, are you using them for lighting so you can see or using them to light the holes to attract fish. like crappies.??

Just wondering. I work with led's like these. I work for a photoelectric company. It would be very easy to mount several on a piece of plastic or wood by inserting them through drilled holes. with a few resistors you could light as many leds as you would like with very little current draw on a battery.

I picked up an amber 4 LED unit at an auto store for 9.95. I'm going to mount it under one of my seats so I can see what's in the tub in the dark. I already had a light for that but the LED's use such little power I'm converting to it as much as possible. It's not at all about shining light down a hole, it's all about seeing what you're doing in the dark.......T

I pulled the silver disk out of a flashlight where the bulb screws in. Took an old phone cord, attached the wires to the copper tabs on the back of the disk. Then put allegator clips on the loose ends of the wires. Clip them on to the flasher battery and drape over the pole in the portable house. Amazing how that little light can light up the house.