• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seafoam vs. Stabil

Cyberfish

Question

18 answers to this question

i agree with IFALLSRON. tried seafoam for storage acouple years ago in my sled and the gas turned green in the carbs. some say with the new gas, it wont happen with premium gas. any one have info on that?

There is a lot of misinformation regarded premium fuel not containing ethanol and being less subject to breaking down. Here is how the Minnesota Statute reads

239.791 Oxygenated gasoline.

Subdivision 1. Minimum ethanol content required. (a)
Except as provided in subdivisions 10 to 14, a person
responsible for the product shall ensure that all gasoline sold
or offered for sale in Minnesota must contain at least 10.0
percent denatured ethanol by volume.

Premium can be sold as non-oxygenated but has to be labeled on the pump as follows. And I do not believe I have ever seen this label anywhere I have ever gotten gas.

(d) The pump stands must be posted with a permanent notice
stating: "NONOXYGENATED GASOLINE. FOR USE IN COLLECTOR
VEHICLES OR VEHICLES ELIGIBLE TO BE LICENSED AS COLLECTOR
VEHICLES, OFF-ROAD VEHICLES, MOTORCYCLES, BOATS, SNOWMOBILES, OR
SMALL ENGINES ONLY."

Just because you are buying premium does not mean you are getting a fuel without ethanol. grin.gif

kwkfsh:

After having my dad's 70-something evinrude 25 hp. motor worked on this summer, I was told by the repair guy to use the premium fuel you have described. I found some labeled as such @ the Holiday in Perham; I believe that someone else posted somewhere on this site that Holiday stores carry the unoxygenated fuel. Just thought you'd like to know...

eyes317

Kwfsh I hope this clears up your confusion once and for all. Unoxygentated gas contains NO ethanol. Yes it is labled on the pump. If you havent seen the lable then you havent been to a pump thats UNoxygenated.
Not all premium pumps are unoxygenated only the ones Labeled so. These pumps are for small engines and collector cars. Why is unoxygenated gas recommended in these engines? Because ethanol has been found to break down gaskets, seals, o-rings and diaphrams in older fuel pumps and carbs. It also dosent gum and varnish as fast as oxygenated. The statement from Chevron about the concern with oxygenated gas wasnt good enough for you. Do you know of any multi-billion dollar company that would make a negitive statement about their product with no justifiable cause? Do you want more? I found that statement in less then a minute Im sure I could find volumes for you.

I use Stabil all summer long in the boat, after each filling. It sits for long periods of time. My thought is that Stabil helps keep the carbs from gumming, and the gas from going bad.

The other thing I noticed with oxygentated gas is you just don't need "Heet" or "Isopropal" anymore.

Fuel Degradation In Storage By Ralph E. Lewis Power Research Inc.

The problem begins with today's modern fuels. These so-called "clean" fuels typically deteriorate at much faster rates than fuels made 20 years ago. While all fuels suffer from the problem, most at risk are the EPA mandated reformulated gasolines (RFG) that contain oxygenate additives, derivatives of methyl alcohol and ethyl alcohol. We've seen gasoline have shelf life as little as a month--particularly if it is subjected to heat and moisture.

kwkfsh, I think that it is hard to find the non-oxy pumps in the metro. Even out here in the hinterlands you have to look around a bit to find them. They will usually have a white ticker about 4 inches high and 8-10 inches long stuck on the nonoxy pump, with the statement that was quoted earlier about what vehicles you can use it in. I tried to put it in my vehicle (noncollector) recently and the person running the pump got on the speaker and informed me that I couldnt put it in my cars tank. I have on other occasions managed to fill my tank with it just out of curiosity and found that my mileage improved about 25%. More btu in petro products than in corn.

there is a small C store close to me that has it, my problem with using that Non o2 fuel is that at this particular station is the fact that they dont sell much of it,(located in the country) so whats in there is to me, questionable. whats in their tank is probably from this spring?? too risky for me.

be carefull where you buy.

before you get all to excited about stabil do your self a favor and ansk a few mechanics if they use it...Im not going to say that no mech. uses it but i can tell you that out of all of the mech. i know not one of use will but that stuff in any thing we own..most of us will just run the tank and carb bone dry at the end of the year..some will store it with 110 octaine..
anyhow all im saying is talk to your fav. mech. first.
good fishing
and BRING ON THE ICE!!!!

I run NonOx in all my 2 strokes.From my 20 merc to my 175 Merc Jet.I was told that the oxygenated gas used today not only eats gaskets and such but runs too lean fro 2 strokes and can burn out your pistons.(I burned out a 25 Merc in two year running regular gas)The nonox makes 2 strokes purrrrrr too.They run much smoother.
You can also get the nonox in Shakopee at the 76 station.