• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Product Development

Question

I am looking for information about developing and marketing new products. I am very confident in my ideas, and would greatly appreciate any information. Thanks in advance!

13 answers to this question

I would suggest that you start with an organization called the Small Business Development Center (SBDC). They are part of the Small Business Administration. Most of their services are free. They have a number of offices around the state...Brainerd, Moorhead, St. Cloud...they could help you get going in the right direction.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Scisor,
click the "Business Services" link above. In the meantime, be careful. You cannot patent ideas.

True, you cannot patent ideas, but you can protect your idea until it is patented. Simply do a "poor man's patent". This is done by drawing a sketch of your idea nd include any materials, processes and dimensions. Put as much detail n that paper as you can. next, make two or three copies and put them in a sealed envelope with your name on the "from" and the "to" areas of the envelope. Take them to your local post office and have them process them as registered mail that you need to sign for. it only costs a couple of bucks. Now, you have evidence that is sealed and dated to prove it was your idea first. If you should ever need to go to court, this could be presented as proof. It will at least give you time to complete the patent process without having your idea stolen.

If you want a real eye opener the next time your in a sporting goods store look and see how many products have patents on them. It runs about 60% do not have them. In an outlet store it runs even higher! It really is a money thing. Do you have anuff of it to fight a really big company? In the process cross your T's and dot your I's. I would also recomend doing a patent search on your idea. Any patent attorny can do this for around $500 dollars. It will give you an idea if your idea is taken. Although a certified letter is a good form of dated identification you would have even better luck sending it to a Patent attornys office so they also have record of it. It can also be filed as a provisional patent which in lay mans terms goes to the patent office and sits in a file for one year and at that time the decision is made to get a full patent. This will protect you from the people that here your idea from your best friends wife at work and decide too beat you to the patent. I'm thinking that was about $1000. A full patent will run close to $3500 said and done. Shop your attornys and check there references. I can tell you that within the first year you will have some yahoo that says you stole there idea and another ten that are building your idea out of there garage or place of work.

------------------
www.bucketrack.com
Hey nice Rack

Sending plans to yourself is what they call the poor mans copyright. News Flash, It doesn't mean a thing. I can send a hundred envelopes to myself with the flaps folded in and not sealed, when I find an idea that I really like I could fabricate some plans, stuff them in the evvelope that I sent to myself two years ago and seal it. I have the copyright right?? Wrong, a good lawyer will eat you alive. the only way to really do it is to go through a copyright lawyer.

A guy that I work with has created a unique product, and he has everyone that he shows it to sign a confidentiallity agreement before he shows them.

Nope they can't make that exact product but they can make a 10% change of the idea and the name and off they go. He just planted the idea in someones head. How many weed trimers look the same? Of course where did the name weed whip come from? Its a brand name but because the flooded the market with them it is now the common name. How deep do you go with a patent meaning special locks, handles and features to the product. $ talks

Just think you still havn't started marketing or building the product and you have $3500 invested.

------------------
www.bucketrack.com
Hey nice Rack

Maybe this will help. I hold to new patents that took me over three years and alot of learning. I finally found a great patent lawyer in eagan. You can listen to whoever you like but a laywer is the only one you can go to if his info is not correct. If you think your ideas are something you are willing to take the time and the money to go for it spend the time and the money on a good laywer, not a cheap on but a good one. Good luck and if i can help let me know.

------------------
JIM PAYNE