• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grease is grease is grease....or is it?

Uncle Grump

Question

Hi all

Any petroleum gurus out there?

I am asking, because I am in the process of putting new hubs on my boat trailer, complete with pre-greased bearings. I also intend to put Bearing Buddies on the hubs as well.

So my question comes to: Can I load up the new hubs via the Buddies with the grease I normally use in my grease gun (Sheaffer's?) which has a high resistance to water, etc and thus mix brands of grease (with whats in the bearings now). Does this make sense?

Thanks

UG

1 answer to this question

I'd clean the grease thats in your bearings now out then put the schaefers in. Im just assuming your using the black stuff? Its awesome grease, all I use...Went 50k on the first set of bearings on my trailer with schafers, good stuff. Whatever grease you use just make sure you can keep the water out..IE Ditch the bearing buddies and just keep your seals in good condition and use the regular dust caps, pay attention to them and they will run almost forever.. Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

[This message has been edited by Paul Rohweller (edited 11-04-2003).]