Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Foss

Repairing Ice Shack Sled

10 posts in this topic

Dan:

You've asked a ton of questions and, really, each should have its own post to keep things clear.

Anyway, on the Guide thing, the Guides have only been out a year or two. How'd you already rip the bottom out of yours? I've got a Fish Trap II 2-man that I've had for five years and it's still going strong.

What you do depends on how badly your bottom is trashed. If it's just cracked or worn through in a couple places, you can likely get a set of hyfax runners (Teflon type additions) that will screw or bolt on to the bottom. Likely your worn spots are on the extruded part of the Guide's bottom, which is where you bolt on the Hyfax runners. If the bottom's in too tough of shape, contact USL (don't have the Web site handy, but do a search for Fish Trap Guide and USL and you'll find their site). You really need a USL base if you're going to replace yours, because other brands don't have the same dimensions.

As for Fiberglas repair, it's worth a try, but most of those black plastic sled bases are made of a compound that has oil impregnated in them, which makes it tough to find a bonding agent that will bind it all together, oil being a lubricant.

There are businesses that can heat-weld on the right kind of plastic, but I don't know any of their names off hand.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
stfcatfish@yahoo.com

I have a Fish Trap Guide and the sled has worn through in places from pulling over asphalt and such. Wondering if a fiberglass repair kit would work. Will it adhere to the plastic or should I just buy a new sled. Can you buy just the sled from Fish Trap or will one of the other sleds on the market fit the guide model? Trying to get ready for hard water this weekend while the weather is lousy here in Colorado. Also anyone ( Pros or Guides ) had a chance to use the Lowrance Ice Machine. I know the X-67 C has been on the market for a while for marine use. Can you see your jig as well as with a Vexilar or Marcum? Also does the Marcum LX-3 work well on your boats without the bottom lock feature of the FL-18. Thanks for your responses.
Dan DAN

------------------

USL has sold off its Clam product line. It is now known as Clam Corp.. If you look up Clam Corp. you should be able to come up ith the HSOforum.

Thankyou stfcatfish and kwkfsh for your replys and useful information. As for why the bottom is worn out already. This is because here in Colorado, when fishing the Denver Metro area lakes, there is only a very limited time when there is any snow on the ground. Especially in the parking areas. We don't have the luxary of driving our vehicles out on the lakes. In fact most area lakes do not allow it, even in the high country. So we drag our huts across concrete and asphalt parking areas and then usually fields of grass and rock to get to the ice. I'm interested in those hi-fax runners. Where might they be purchased. I did patch the bottom with a fiberglass kit. Only use will tell how good it holds up. Also noticed the mice got to my zipper. Oh well its live and learn I guess! Dan DAN

------------------

Dan:

One option for protecting your trap's bottom would be to duct tape doubled up cardboard to the bottom.

A bit of a hassle, but it sounds like there's no way around dragging your unit over that hostile terrain.

Appliance boxes scavenged from behind stores would work. Fold em up, tape em to the trap and then rip them off the trap's bottom as soon as you hit the ice.

As to what to do with them then? Not sure . . . grin.gif Maybe stash it along the shore and tape it back on for the return drag.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
stfcatfish@yahoo.com

dan
i see if you can find runners that they use on snowmobil trailers or old truck bed liner
works good on my trap

Anyplace that sells ice houses should have Hyfax runners. Clam can get you them. If you have trouble post and Ill get ya info. Dont waste your time with duck tape tec. It comes off right away in dirt, grass etc. and just winds up blowing around o the ice. Steve, Do you guys have any extra tin from your printing machines? You can cut it to length and bend it onto your sled then once on ice bend it off or keep it on. Slick pull. Hyfax is the way to go. Lasts a LONG time and if it gets dinged up just run some sandpaper over it to smooth it out and your good to go. Also Ive waxed my otter sled. Pulls Super Easy but once stopped you better have snow to bank with or ice anchors.

An easy way to avoid wear on a sled if you tow it a lot is to cut strips of HDPE and screw it to the bottom of the sled from the inside. You can buy the stuff from a plastic distributor and cut it with a skill saw or a table saw. HDPE is the same material that the sleds are made out of. If it begins to wear, replace the strip instead of the sled. Another runner you could do is conduit cut and flatten on the ends. Rivet it on the bottom of the sled from the inside.

You can go to any snowmobile dealership and buy a set of hyfax pretty cheap. You will get more than you need and can cut them to any length you want. They are really the ticket.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin