• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Plate

jim244a

Question

I am looking at getting a trolling plate for my 150 HP Johnson Outboard. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which model might be best? I have heard that the plates can sometimes break or bend if you throttle up without lifting the plate. Has anyone had any experience with this?

3 answers to this question

I've used the Happy Troller on a 25hp outboard with good results. Thing to keep in mind is you've taken the props thrust away and this effects the steering. You'll have to steer harder to get the boat to respond. Thats not that big a problem with a tiller but with a wheel you'll be doing quite a bit more turning. You may even have to throttle up and turn to get the boat to respond in windy conditions, again not that big a problem with a tiller but with a wheel it takes two hands and you need one for your rod. Maybe someone will pipe in that has tried a plate with a bigger boat and motor. An alternative would be a kicker motor with linkage or a electric bow. mount. Good Luck.

jim244a,
They work OK. I have a large Happy Troller that I used to put on my 140 Johnson OB. (Sold the 140 and upgraded to a 150 Yami HPDI last month - yahoo!). ST is correct that it impedes your ability to steer, but I normally used it more for trolling flats or broad areas versus trying to follow tight structure so exact control wasn't too critical. I never had any trouble remembering to put the plate up before using excessive thrust. They can handle a fair amount without bending. but if you hit it...
I still have mine and may consider getting rid of it if you're interested. I don't plan on using it on my new motor.

I purchased a Cabelas Hydro-Troll for my 40hp Johnson, and a friend of mine has the same model for his 90 Mercury. The Hydro-Troll has a shearpin design, so if you forget to lift the plate when you throttle up, the shearpin will break instead of the plate mechanism. Buy a few of the extra shearpins, and you can change 'em real easy.

Cashcrews