Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Seabass77

2 stroke or 4 stroke for Duck/Fishing boat

I am looking at 2 strokes and 4 strokes for a duck/fishing boat. 4 Strokes are nice and quite, less smoke but I am worried about starting in the cold. Any thoughts?

Also, for boats I am looking at the SSV 14 and the WC 16 by lund. Any opinions there?

I have a Honda 15 4 stroke. It starts in any temp, and runs like a dream. I absolutely love it. I hunt no matter how cold it is.

I have seen that the Mercury 4-strokes are very cold blooded and tough to get going in cold temps.

The only disadvantage is that (my) duck motors do see abuse. 4-strokes are spendy and it doesn't feel good to hit stumps, rocks, etc...

If you're concerned about starting in the cold, it's all a matter of tuning. 4-strokes burn the fuel in the combustion chamber much more efficiently than a 2 stroke, so if it's tuned well it will start as easy if not easier than a 2. If any motor is hard to start in the cold, than the problem is in the choke, not the motor itself. Motors have to be pre-tuned at the factory for a very wide variety of conditions. If a motor is going to be used primarily in a certain temperature range, they can usually adjust the choke accordingly. This would be a good question to ask the dealer when your shopping around. If finances permit and your not hitting too many rocks and stumps at your hunting site,then you I would definitely recommend the four stroke.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com

The SSV 14 is a deep and well built boat however I've found the SSV 16 to be a much better performing boat especially if you go with a 4 stroke. The 14 is hard to get on plane with one person in the boat unless you add some weight in the bow. This isn't as much of a problem with a 2 stroke since they are lighter and have a faster takeoff. The SSV 16 also rides and handles better. I'm not real familiar with the WC 16 but I think it's a lower priced model and not as deep or wide as the SSV but is probably a pretty good boat if you want to go a little lighter. Whichever you choose I would recommend a 20 inch transom and a long shaft motor,much better for back trolling.

In spite of the extra weight I like the 4 strokes. They're quieter, cleaner, use less gas and will probably last longer. I'm only familiar with Mercs and they are a little cold blooded but I have been using a 15hp 4 stroke and haven't had any trouble starting it. They need to be warmed up at fast idle for a minute or longer in cold weather and you will probably have to work the choke in and out to keep it from dieing. The Honda may be worth a look since one of the previous posters said he has no trouble starting it in cold weather.