• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

good snow tires

fishing addict

Question

16 answers to this question

We have Firestone Wilderness AT's on our Jeep Grand Cherokee and just love them in the winter. Snow, ice, you name it, they seem to grab better than any tire we've ran before. One thing to check though, if you do look into them, I've noticed two different tread patterns on different Wilderness AT's. One style is more aggressive than the other. We have the more aggressive style on our Jeep. I'm sure there is a differece in the labeling of the tires but it's just something to be aware of.

The Firestone Steeltex Radials are a very good tire. I had them on a Suburban. They were still on it when I traded it. They last a long time and have a very good tread pattern. Just another tire to look at.....T

I have a 1999 2500 Silverado with the Michelin LTX M/S. Best tire I have ever run, great traction, smooth ride and low noise. I highly recommend them.

[This message has been edited by Kidd (edited 10-26-2003).]

I have BF Goodrich A/T's on my 2500 chevy and they are all right. They can get a bit loose in heavy rain and they do tend to pick up rocks. Heard good things about the Goodyear workhorse. Also had good luck with the Wild Country All Terains, Twin City tire carries them.

I have BF Goodrich AT KO on my truck since I bought it. I got 63000 miles out of my first set and I just purchased a new set this past weekend. I still had a little tread left but I wanted a new set before buck season. They have been good tires for me I don't get stuck very often and everytime that I have gotten stuck with a little work I got right out.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 10-27-2003).]

Just put four new tires on my truck this weekend. I opted for Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's. They are categorized as off-road tires (as opposed to highway all-season), but ride just as quietly as the factory Goodyear Wranglers on my 2001 F-150.

Check out this site for a thorough review of darn near all the tires out there.....I can't put up an unauthorize link, so...

world wide web . tire rack . com

Read the reviews, look at comparisons and pay close attention to listed prices, too. I got a local shop to basically match the price I could have gotten off the above site.

Pay close attention to various models under the same tire name....tread patterns vary greatly and make a huge difference.

Good Luck!

I'm with TBone for the Firestone Steeltex.

If you rotate tires every 8-10 thousand miles you'll get over 55k on them--not bad.

Buy the LT's which are what all SUV's and Trucks should have, regardless of which brand you buy.

------------------
Chells

I got a set snowtires at Fleet. Deep tread, excellent wear and quiet on the road. Mounted them on stock rims I picked up at John's Auto Parts in Blaine.

[This message has been edited by IFallsRon (edited 10-28-2003).]

I've been running tires from a company called Nokian the last 2 winters. They are incredible! They have some sort of different rubber compound that makes them really sticky, and they've lasted good for me as well. I think the company is from Finland, they probably know a thing or 2 about winter driving! I've got the Haakepelitas on my Dakota.

I have the duelers on my blazer and I can't say enough good things about them. i can't seem to get my truck stuck with them so I think you made a good choice if you drive a lot in the snow.
><>deadeye
p.s. those nokian tires are looking pretty good too, I might try thoose out when I get a little car, my freind had them on hit focus last winter and could drive through anything.

I also looked at the Nokian. They are Finnish made. I decided against them because the guy who talked them up so much to me also talked up some other tires for my wife's car.

I checked out those car tires on the aforementioned web site and they were rated at the absolute bottom of about 40 comparable tires.

So, I decided not to trust what the guy said about Nokians, as well. But, he claimed that they were better than the Duelers and the Michelin LTX's....for whatever that's worth.

Waiting for snow to try out my Dueler Revo's.