• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Needle Valve sticking?

Finns

Question

'84 Merc. 9.8. I put new gaskets and needle valve in carb. Now when I start in the am it will run for a few minutes (5?) and die. I take the bowl off and try to adjust the float, put back together and it runs fine all day. Next morning same thing.

Is the tab on the float supposed to be bent at all? Thanks for any help.
Finns.

5 answers to this question

I take it after running it for 5 min the bowl is dry.
Yes theres a tang on the float to adjust the fuel level. You'll need a manual with and carb model to get the proper float drop measurement.
After it quits is the bulb full/tight of gas? If yes then valve is most likely sticking. Imagine driving down the road and your outboard is bouncing up and down at the same time your float is hammering the valve. You said you replaced the carbs fuel shutoff needle and seat which should have fixed the sticking. Did you have this problem before you replaced it?
If you can pump it back up look for an air leak in the hose, tank vent, leak in the impulse line to the pump, weak pump, plugged filter, plugged screen on the pump, plugged screen inside the tanks pickup line.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 10-22-2003).]

ST, I don't have a manual that tells the float drop measurement but the carb model is WMB-1. After it quits the bulb stays hard. I replaced the fuel inlet needle (needle valve-fuel shutoff needle) but not the seat. A seat didn't come with the gasket set or the inlet needle. I don't see how it can be replaced. I've been shooting carb cleaner into the seat. Maybe things will cleanup. Thanks for the help. Finns

Good going. Did the new needle have a rubber tip or was it all brass.
Some needles have the little slot on the bottom end that gets slide into a small fork next to the floats tang. I like those, seems to have a lot less problems with that design.

The needle valve has a rubber tip on one end and a spring on the other. Is the spring supposed to rest ontop of the float tang or is the tang inserted into the spring? If the tang was inserted into the spring of the needle it would force the needle down as the float settled as gas was used. Just a thought. Anyway the motor was working as of the 28th. Again, thanks. Finns