• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rino 110 - 120

mtreno

Question

ok i know there are way to many gps topics out there but i did a search and was unable to find info that i am lookin for. want to get a rino 110 or 120 because i think they could very well be a very handy tool. i have talked to all the "experts" at my local stores and have gotten nothing but conflicting anwsers. the rino 110 is just a gps and handheld radio with no mapping. 120 has mapping. what i would love to do would be able to download my lakemaster maps for ice fishing - was told by 2 the rino 120 would not and 1 that it would take the software. if this will not work then it would seem that the 110 would work fine because i can still download spots i want to try. what does the 120 do over the 110 other than more memory? if they "mapping" the 120 does is cities and stuff that makes no sense to spend the extra money.
also - tree cover - is this thing going to work when i am pushin the back 40 with my buddies this fall?
if none of these things do what i want maybe i would be better off just stickin to my handheld in my shirt pocket and my radio clipped to my pack. would be nice to have all in one and see where my buddies are as well.
any info would be helpfull
thanks

2 answers to this question

The Rino 110 will accept and upload waypoints from Lakemaster software. The 120 is a mapping GPS and as such will upload maps and waypoints from Garmin software and/or Garmin POI (point of interest) OR lakemaster software. The 110 is capable of uploading ONLY waypoints such as POI software or Lakemaster maps. You may in good faith purchase either one, but mapping is very nice. Many claim they don't want or need it until they have it. Then they love it.........Go with the 120!

To the point of it working "in the back 40", unless you are in brutally dense cover, the quadrifiliar antenna is really good. More often than not you will maintain a signal. Especially after the leaves have come down.

[This message has been edited by irvingdog (edited 10-15-2003).]

irvingdog -
thanks for the fast info. so let me just make sure i here what you are saying right. on the 110 i could download just they waypoint or my poi. on the 120 i can do all of that and download the map as well? that would be great! thanks again