• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thermos Grill 2 Go

Seabass77

Question

I was thinking of picking up one of these units to take along ice fishing and camping. Thought it might be nice to have some hot food out there. Just curious if anyone has tried it, what your thoughts are. Maybe suggestions for different brands or models? I have heard that they take a while to heat up.

Seabass

12 answers to this question

Seabass77,
Unless you have a permanent shack, or are fishing close to your vehicle, leave the grill at home, bring some hot chowder in one thermos, some coffee or cocoa in another, some smoked fish(salmon jerky) and crackers, and a candy bar or two, all a guy needs for a day on the ice. Makes the fish fry once you get home that much more to look forward to. If you are going to drag that grill out there, Bring a small charcoal grill, and real hardwood charcoal,(they make kingsford and other briquettes out of sawdust, wax, and a bunch of other cr@p) Nothing tastes finer than something grilled over real hardwood, Gas grills in general just do not get hot enough when it is cold outside, add a little wind, and they do a poor job. Best of all, real hardwood charcoal either burns up into a light ash, or you can smother it, and reuse it. Ever wonder why your charcoal grill is full of heavy ash after using briquettes? - cause 50% of it doesn't burn! Yeah, the real stuff may seem more expensive, but on a pound for pound basis, But it all burns, and will add real flavor to your food.

Coldone,
Thanks for your tips....this is definately for lazy fishing (i.e. right next to my car) and also for outside the cabin during the tournaments. I am just trying to figure out a way to do a little of my own cooking during some of this years expeditions. I thought this might be kind of fun. Any other thoughts?

They are about the size of a larger Hibachi
roughly 20-22 inches long and 12-14 inches
wide.(rectangular shape) It has a cover,and room for four burgers or a couple steaks.I
just saw some the other day at the Home Depot
One model,a Sunbeam I think, was only 14 bucks,while the other was a little more.They are nice and compact,and really add a lot to a meal outdoors.

Seabass, I saw the grill you described. I too pictured myself grilling a fresh venison loin on one of those grills outside my shack this year. I don't think too many people have seen one yet. Why don't you be a nice guy and go buy one and let me know how it works! LOL

They look very portable and even have a griddle on them for frying eggs and bacon! How can a guy go wrong???

Seabass,
Don't get me wrong, There is nothing wrong with getting a grill going out on the lake, cept the aroma makes the rest of us so darn hungry. My favorite grill recipe is terriyaki salmon although cajun tuna steaks or garlic shrimp is a close second, I gave up red and white meat years ago, I only eat fish these days, but I still love to fire up the BBQ!

Those little grills are great!!! We use em for meals while turkey hunting,camping and yes...Ice fishing!! Nothing against those wood briquettes,they do indeed make it taste better,but those little grills that run off of one pound cylinders are sooo much quicker and easier to use. Wait till you fire one up sometime next to your shack out on the ice.
You will suddenly get a lot of attention from
those guys nearby!! New, they run around 20 bucks,but there seem to be at a lot of them at garage sales around town too.A plus is they will run off a bigger tank with a hose kit.Happy grill'n.

All,
I would highly recommed going with real hardwood charcoal, and a kettle style or other covered grill for winter grilling. Gas might be fine in the summer (I still use charcoal). It just cooks hotter, more flavorful, etc. You guys might be used to the time you have to wait starting them briquettes up, well with real hardwood charcoal you can start it up with newspaper, and it is ready to cook in no time. and when you are finished cooking, simply put the cover on and close the vents, and the charcoal is reusable for next time.

We heat our little portable darkhouse with a Coleman single burner stove, on which we boil up the venison polish for lunch. Nothing like the smell of the polish boiling as you hunch over the hole and work the decoy!
Of course at this rate we'll have to outfit the darkhouse with pontoons and a small motor to get out......