• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Trailer just doesn't load straight

Question

I bought guide on's and have been successful for most of the year loading my boat straight on the trailer. For one reason or another, the past weeks, I cannot get the boat on straight. I have tried everything from not backing in too far to backing in deeper, etc....It is midn boggling becuase I thought the guide on'e would help? Well, they did but the past few weeks has been a nightmare...One day the boat will tilt to the right and next day to the left.........

Any thoughts or suggestions?

11 answers to this question

Have one less beer per outing. j/k

Its possible something got knocked out of adjustment and is causing your problem. I cant give much help because I dont know what roller system you have, or if you have bunks/rollers, etc.

If you have center rollers be sure one didnt tilt .. That one got me for a while. If you have bunks be sure one didnt move and is scraping a rib. If you have the V style self center rollers dont put your trailer too deep. If you have bunk rollers put the trailer in until they drop just below the surface of the water.

It is a Karavan roller trailer, V style (sort of) for a 16 foot boat. KKR-1600-64 is the exact model #. I Never drive in too deep. I just do not get it?

Today - I loaded it as I normally do, I do not let the last set of rollers go under water. Tilted to the right.
Is a roller or something maybe out of wack?Backed in deeper this time..Still the same...
Tried a 3rd time and barely backed in and the boat is almost centered but still, not on target?

MN Bassfisher:

I have the same problem with my Karavan 2300 lb trailer with my Lund 1700 Angler SS. It is very sensitive to the ramp angle. If the ramp is tilted in the least bit I have to make adjustments (weight distribution) in the bow area to correct it. Pain in the A$$, but I have learned to live with it.

Take care,

SUNNYD

My roller for a 17 footer was very sensitive to being level at the launch. If the trailer was level in the water she usually loaded nicely. If the launch wasn't level, did'nt much matter what I tried, it would come out lookin goofy...

I thought the ramp being uneven would have something to do with it....What do you guys do then? Just drive with the boat crooked and go home? I don't mind - just looks dumb.

How much clearance do you have on each side? Also, check the condition of all the moving parts on the roller assemblies. If there's much corrosion or sludge, a good cleaning with a scotch-brite pad or a wire brush and then a healthy application of bearing grease may help them conform to the position of the hull better.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com

Well, how tight is tight?

When the boat does center, those things are Really tight on the boat. After speaking w/ Karavan, they told me it will not hurt the boat, and that off season, lossen them up.

Should I go tighter?

I think it may be possible that they're too tight. They could be binding and the friction between them and the boat hull may be keeping the rollers from doing their job. When we adjust them at the shop, we usually leave a good inch between them and the hull on each side. They're only intended to be a general guide to just get the bow centered enough so that the rollers can do their job.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com