• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boundary Waters LCD

Seabass77

Question

Just wondering if anyone hear has ever tried the Boundary Waters LCD unit made by vexilar. Since it uses AA batteries instead of a gel cel, I thought it might work pretty slick. I am assuming that it won't give me great detail but enough to find humps, drops, etc. Thanks folks.

Joe

14 answers to this question

Used one for several years, and it works really well on the canoe. I shoot through the hull on both kevlar and aluminum canoes, to cut down on drag.
Detail isn't the best, but usually it is possible to pick up fish on the thing after you get the hang of it. Best of all is its small size. I mount mine to the thwart forward of me with a velcro strap or a pipe clamp. Battery life in these things is excellent.

Should have looked a little more closely, as my locater is the LC-10, which is NOT a color unit. Shelled out around $250 for it, and I think the new (color) ones are over $300. The new color ones look real nifty, and I'll have to see if I can't somehow justify it.....
If you like to fish and explore in new waters, these things are extremely helpful in locating reefs, eliminating fishless areas, etc. Found a deep weed reef last summer I have been paddling over for years, and really smacked some nice walleyes when we went back and tried it.
We have a case for ours for packing and portaging, which slides real nicely into my pack. In the little zippered pocket of the case are extra batteries and a coin for the screws.

Pete Zebich....
I'm heading up Wednesday night with a crew to hit Lake One for a four day weekend. You wouldn't happen to have any favorite campsites or honey holes you'd be willing to give up? I'm willing to fish for anything and everything. Yes, I will be accompanied by sandal, cargo short, and sombrero wearing people. LOL
Thanks,
Duff

[email protected]

Never really spent any time fishing on Lake One - seems like we always go screaming through on our way to other lakes. There are some nice looking campsites along the way, although they are for the most part heavily used. Fish-wise I would be thinking about current areas now, starting shallower and working deeper. Water is cooling down. Think minnows.

Thanks Pete,
About what I figured for fishing tactics, the BW LCD looks like it would work great for long trips, I'll be using an FL8 this weekend. No problem with weight on this trip, an hour paddle, set up camp, go fishing.
Good luck to you if you pursue any fish and or game this weekend.
Duff

Not sure why, but when the 'guys' here got the sample of the new color BW Finder by Vexilar, they didn't like it as much.

If you want some more details, you are welcome to call us and ask John.

------------------
John and Lynn O'Kane
Voyageur North Outfitters
Ely, Mn 55731
1-800-848-5530

Seems like a lot of money to me for what your getting. Overall it's great, but look at it from a power, pixels, features stand point and it's really not that great of unit. The value really comes through with the carrying case and AA battery system but it that worth 200 bones? Will have to wait and see but right now it doesn't look like there are many other options.

There are some new Piranha units out there which are portable, and very reasonably priced, which you may want to check out. There is a comparison of the Piranha vs. the Vexilar that I think you can link to off of the Red Rock Wilderness Store site, if you want some more detail.

Is it worth the $200. You betch it is. I have the CLC-200 and it performed awesome on my latest trip to Canada. I felt bad for the other guys hauling around heavy batteries and those other "so-called" portable units with crappy transducer brackets 8 AA Batteries lasted 5 days along with a light transducer with a suction cup. Made my life so much easier.

I have found another unit that may compete with the vex. A lowrance x47. An accessory for this unit is a portable kit that runs off of AA bats. Not quite as compact as the vexilar but about 170 bucks cheaper. I will have to make a decision by spring.