• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat trailer broken, help!

Cyberfish

Question

I got home from a fishing trip and found my left wheel on my trailor is shot! I mean the bearins are gone and no grease and the nut, or whatever that is in the middle is messed up! I cannot even tow it somewhere to have it looked at and don't have the $$ either, I guess I am going to have to try and fix it my self (ulp) I don't even know what parts are what, any one know of a good book on how to fix em? I really would like to go fishin again this year in my boat, but I am stuck !! shocked.gif

16 answers to this question

One thing to check is the shaft,if it is too badly mangled may need to have that replaced. You can get by if there is enough surface left for the bearings to ride on tho.

The thread that Surface Tension posted here should cover the rest of the operation just fine. Once you get into is you will find that it is not too hard a project, just dirty and slimy smile.gif

Hmmm, the only problem I have with that thread is I don't even know what parts are what! What are races? what is a hub? what is a spindle? shaft? I don't even know how to repack bearings. Mabye if I take it apart and bring all the parts to a store someone can help me? I live in Savage, any good places to go around this area?

thanks

------------------
><}}}("< ---><!>

What kind of trailer is it? I just went through the same exact situation this summer. After 3 attempts Karavan was finally able to send the correct axel. I checked all over and found that the axel Karavan uses is proprietary so you have to order it from them. Northern and Fleet did not have it.

If it is a Karavan let me know, I still have one of the axels they sent me, if it fits your trailer I'll throw you a deal on it.

Hey cyberfish. Don't know if anyone suggested this to you or not, but if you don't know what parts are what, take the good side apart and see how that side is put together. The bad side should be the same. Take the good parts to a boat dealer or Northern store to get the right parts. Good luck, Junky..........

------------------
A fishing guide is just a fishing junky who takes others with him to support his habit.

Cyberfish

SOunds like you might be best off with a whole new hub assembly - seal, bearings, races, dust cover and the hub itself - assuming the spindle is ok.

If you need a spindle - its going to be more spendy. Last I checked, a hub assembly at Northern was $40-45 or so - assuming your trailer uses generic parts.

For the record - here is what you see and the sequence you dis-assemble (after jacking and blocking the trailer up of course):

1) Take off tire

2) Dust cover or bearing buddy - wiggle loose w/ channel lock pliers

3) Cotter pin - straighten w/ pliers and
pull out

4) Castle nut (or possibly a sleeve/washer that goes over a plain nut) - it and the cotter pin lock the hub in place on the spindle.

5) Large flat washer

6) Outer bearing

At this point - once the nut and washer is off, you can loosen the bub by wiggling it, and the Outer bearing comes free - make sure you catch it - don't let it fall in the dirt.

6) Hub it self - pull it off the spindle.

Now that you have the hub off - you will have an assembly which contains:

2 Bearing races (shiney, tapered (cone shaped) metal donuts that the bearings ride in/on).

The rear or inner bearing, and grease seal.

You get the grease seal out by prying on it w/ a large screwdriver. Replace it - do not try to re-install. Then you have acess to the inner bearing. Just lift it out.

From this point - hust follow the directions as the others pointed out.

Its not hard to do - just messy.

Having a hard surface to work on helps - like a garage floor - don't try to do it on gravel. Have lots of rags handy.

Good luck.

UG

UG, thanks for the list you gave, Im afraid it is much worse than that though blush.gif
How do I know if the spindle is shot or not?
There is no bering cover or anything left, the nut almost is half gone, it will not be messy at all because there is no grease left.
When I got home and looked at it the first thing I did was thank the good Lord for getting home safely! I don't even know how that wheel stayed on!

Capt, nope not a Karavan. Do all makes have there own parts just like cars? if so, I am gonna have some real fun trying to find em for this old thing!haha

FishJunky, thats a good idea, but I am lazy, don't wanna take apart both sides, but is I have to i will grin.gif thanks

Did you read the thread I posted?
Everything you need is there.

The nut you see is on the Spindel
The hub is what the tire rim is bolted to.
Theres 2 races, an inner and outter. They are pressed into the hub.
The bearings are set into the races
Theres a seal that is pressed on the inside of the hub.
The hub then slides onto the spindel and the nut holds the hub on.

Your going to have to inspect and repack the other side or you may not get so lucky when that one burns up.
Take the tire off the good side.
Take the dust cap off the hub.
Remove the cotter pin and then take the nut off.
Now pull the hub off and dont let the bearing fall out.
Take that to Northern engine and get a new hub/w bearing set.

Cyberfish

The bearings and seals are generic. You can buy the seals and bearings at most parts stores. Take apart the good side and take it to your parts store to match up.

On the bad side inspect where the seal and bearings ride. You can clean up small grooves with emery cloth. Pay close attention to where the seal rides. If it cant be polished smooth then the new seal will get chewed up.

If you have to replace the hub assembly you might want to check an oil bath type hub. These are available at Cabelas.

Can I ask when was the last time that the seals and grease where changed.

Cyberfish: If time is of great importance to you, buy the hub kit. Pounding the old races out and putting the new ones into the old hub can be very time consuming and frustrating. You must be very careful when pressing the new races into the hub. You cannot nick the surface area of the race where the bearing rests.

Trailer repair update:

Well, this weekend I removed the wheel from my trailer. the hub is shot, there were no bearings at all and very little of the races left, also the spindle nut was half gone. the treads on the spindle look ok, but the rest of the spindle looks like it should be replaced. unfortunatly it is welded on instead of bolted on, so I cannot put a new one on. I guess I am going to go with the new hub kit, and hope the spindle is good enough to go for a while anyhow...

Thanks for the tips all who posted to me! smile.gif

------------------
><}}}("< ---><!>