• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance X51/any locator set-up help, tips?

mnrstrider

Question

Guys, I'll be the first to admit, I'm not sure I have any idea of how I should have my Fish finder set-up... Currently I'm running an Lowrance X-51, but to me it never seems to do a whole lot. I have yet to ever identify any spots of bait fish, I feel that it doesn't really see the fish or the bottom real well. People say I should be able to do things to it to be able to see the Thermoclines, honestly I'm lost... Right now the basic setting I'm running are grayline at about 65%, scroll speed at either full speed or 80%. 100% sensitivity I'm running in "fish" mode, because I can't seem to figure out the other modes. Overall it doen't seem to be much of a fishing aide, other than depth. It never shows the bottom well, it doesn't seem to ever mark fish below the last 2-3 feet of the depth.

Does anyone have tips on how to properly set this thing up? or links to a general how to? I heard there is videos out there but have never seen one. Sure, I'm 24 grew up with computers and VCR's, video games, fuel injection, and this thing puzzles the heck out of me. I have the owner's manual, and have read it, but it never seems to help me either. Help a guy out here grin.gif

-Nick

3 answers to this question

sounds like you have things set right, maybey a bit high on the grayline, and turn the fish ID off and never go back. Id check to see that your transducer is properly set, make sure that its not pointing too far forward or backward..? one other thing, you need to be over fish to see them, Duh.

Im no expert but theres a bunch here that run that unit that can help. good luck!

mnrstrider
How deep of water are you fishing?You should get good bottom definition in most all depths but if your in 10 feet or less it is really tough to see fish because they have to be in a 3 foot diameter circle under the transducer.The transducer that comes with the x51 you will be looking at an area of approx. 1/3 the depth, 30 feet of water you will see 10 feet of the bottom and less if the fish is suspended!
also i run mine in all manual (if i remember right) no auto except for the depth control and no fish id as stated before!also I think your speed is a little fast(i think i run mine on 75 to 80)but i will have to check!
good luck

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)

Inexperienced users should start with Auto settings. Once you have a full understanding of functions and features start playing with settings one at a time with manual settings. In time you'll learn how to get the most performance out of your sounder.

Go through your manual and double check your transducer mounting.

Minimize interference by using a designated battery for the sounder and keep the transducer's cord away from power cords.

Keep your depth scale close to the depth your in. In other words if its 15 ft deep set your scale to 20 ft as apposed to 30 ft.

Run your gain high enough to were your just starting to pick up clutter.