• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two-way radios

Seabass77

Question

I am in the market for a couple two way radios. Probably FRS, unless someone can tell me that it's worth it to pay for the FCC licence and get the GMRS. What brands do you like? Any particular features to look for? Mostly likely will be using this on the lake on open water and during ice season. Also, between cars on road trips. Thanks for the help.

9 answers to this question

I have a pair of the motorolla talkabouts which are dual frs and gmrs depending on which channel you have them on. I like them for the fact that I can still use them with other people in the group that only have the frs and yet I can get a little more range by switching to gmrs when only using my two radios.

as far as a license, well, I don't think too many people worry about that. Keep it clean, legal and appropriate and you shouldn't have a problem.

As far as range though, never have I gotten the claimed 5 mile range on gmrs or even 2 mile range on frs. I would say that over open water you can get 2-3 miles on gmrs clearly. In a car, don't plan on more than 1-2 miles apart. They are not as good as I hoped for range at all.

If you are using them for fishing only, you'd be much better off getting marine band radios. Not even a comparison with range.

One other thing, get the ones with subchannel capability. That way you avoid all the chatter from other groups.

Also, if using during hunting (which is legal as long as not using in aiding the taking of game), I would suggest being sure to get the kind of radios that you can eliminate the annoying beeping which confirms the end of a sent signal.

ccarlson

Dont bother with anything but Motorola for these type of 2 ways. I have had several different types and always brought them back. I now have motorola 5 mile with the stand charger. Best set I have owned. Can get 2 radios and charger with belt clips and rechargable batteries for $50 at Best Buy or Office Max. Also G.M. runs specials on them.
They work best ice fishing or within a couple miles on soft water. Like posted earlier if the other people dont have quality radios you wont be able to comunicate very well.

I bought a set of these this summer, and although haven't used them much, I like them. They are nice with the rechargable batteries and charger/stand. You can also put in regular ni-cads for an extended trip if the rechargables run out.

KJ

Yes I bring extra batteries along with the stand. Sometimes if your out for over about 8 hours the batteries go low and your performance suffers. Keep batteries fresh or well charged and those your looking at will be ok.

I can't remember what brand of Motorola I have but it's the 5 mile jobby. I bought it because when I go camping, fishing, hunting etc. it's my 2-way, alarm clock (and a **** loud one I might add) and has a vibration alert option rather than tones.

Obviously it is very much so illegal to use radios to aid in a hunt in MN. However, once the hunt is over, meaning someone has taken an animal, the radios may be used to ask for help. I have heard this straight from a CO's mouth.

Some of you may be able to relate to this. My father had a surgery a number of years ago that took him down a few pegs. Since then, my brothers and I started helping the old man drag his deer out...God forbid we have to drag 2 old bucks out of the woods. If we hear a shot come from his direction, we turn on the radios....however, I don't care how big a buck he's got, if I have buckzilla in front of me I want my radio to vibrate, not play 'when the saint come marchin' in'!! Something to consider.

------------------
"When the hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20' closer to God"
-Fred Bear