• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum Customer Service

troutstix

Question

Anyone with any thoughts on Marcum customer/warranty service? To me it is less than satisfactory, I am second guessing my purchase of the lx3. Nothing but trouble for me, and a major headache trying to get it fixed. Maybe I am just used to Vex's customer service.

23 answers to this question

Thanks Rodbender, called the number last week.

Thank you Fastlane, I played the email game with them too. I see that you are from Northfield, I am too. Maybe we could meet up for a day on the ice sometime!

I just hope things go smoother for you. Keep us up to date on your experiences.

The next two weeks I'll only be doing my evening fishing on the northern metro lakes during the workweek (it's close to where I work, not live, hence fastlane)

Good luck and I'll try ya later for fishing sometime.

My charger for my lx-3 went bad, so I called them and got an RA#. They would not sent me out a replacement until they had received mine. STRIKE ONE. I sent it in 3-4 days before christmas, fed ex overnight so the new one would get here sooner. I haven't heard a word since. I sent an email that got no reply. STRIKE TWO. Tried to call the phone number listed in the manual that's on their HSOforum since I was at work and didn't have mine, It doesn't work. STRIKE THREE.

I don't know if I'll see a new one or not.

troutstix,

I have read dozens of posts on the Vex vs. Marcum debate, but I haven't read a whole lot about how great the unit is when things go wrong. Everyone loves to tout the technical merits of their respective unit, but very rarely have I read any meaningful dialogue about customer service. To me, customer service is just as important as the product itself. I don't care how technically superior a product is, if the company doesn't back it up it's nothing more than a boat anchor to me.

I went with the FL-18 because it has a reputation of being a solid unit. By most accounts on this board, it is also backed by a company that stands behind their product (plust they are local). I've only recently got into ice fishing and every one of the major purchases I have made came from recommendations off these boards. If Marcum is gonna give you the shaft, then we all need to know about it.

I really do hope you get things worked out. Regardless of what happens though, keep us posted on your experience. It would be good for those that are currently in the market for a new flasher to know what to expect if they buy a Marcum. After all, you wouldn't want someone else 'goin down the road feelin bad' would ya? wink.gif

Good luck!

Well so far I have not had a lick of trouble with my LX3 in over a year now. A good friend did however loose all his color in the flasher except red. He called them. They said send it in and they will return the unit or a new one within 48 hours. He to was skeptical but they stuck to their word. Thats my two cents worth I guess... So far so good here.

Good luck on your end...

Quote:

that sucks, where is their office?

I'm in the market for a new flasher and vex's offices are about 4 miles from my house.

I believe their office is located in Monticello. I cant say anything good or bad about their cust service, cause ive never had a prob with my ovs500, and am not willing to give up my FL18.

I'm a Fishing MN Pro Staff and on MarCum's Rep Group but first I'm a guy that fishes just like you. I agreed to Rep the LX3 because thats what I use. Like you I wanted to know what MarCum's customer Service was like.

Last summer I figured I check the battery in my LX3. It was dead and the charger didn't work. Without letting it be know who I was, I emailed MarCum's customer support and they returned my email that day. They gave me an RMA# and said send in the charger with a copy of the receipt and they'll check it out. I wasn't in a big hurry and figured I'd try charging a different battery on that charger. A week later, I sent in the charger with the RMA# and a description of what the problem was. I had a new charger delivered to my door within a weeks time.

Like the earlier post said, you can have the best product out there but if the customer service is lacking what good is it. My experience with MarCum's customer service has been a positive one.

My experiences with MarCum's customer service have been fantastic and that was well before I was on the Pro Staff. Franks unit was damaged when shipped MarCum had him a brand new one in 3 days and that's all the way to New York. Bad DCS... Had a new one in 4 days. One of my buddies had an LX-1 and wanted to upgrade to a LX-3 and MarCum worked out a nice deal for him that I doubt would have ever happened from any manufacturer. Scott had a bad battery.. "Batteries on these units only have a 90 day warranty" Because some people have weird charging habits during the season and off season. Not a problem MarCum sent him a new battery quick. No customer service is without hiccups there going to happen from time to time. I can say this with just about every company I have dealt with some hiccupped more than others. I know it's hard to be patient sometimes especially when your smack dab in the middle of ice fishing season. I just had the same situation occur with a manufacturer and it took well over 5 weeks to get my situation satisfied and in the end for being patient they lopped $40 additional off the total.

I don't have a Marcum and I don't have anything to do with it, but I want to give my opinion on this matter.

Negative issues are always brought to attention, while positive are not, that's human nature.

I can guarantee for any bad experience there are 1000s of good ones, that's what makes the product valid.

I am sure there has been a reason for your dissatisfacion, and I believe a solution will be found.

After some help from Paul Waldowski, and talking with Paul at Marcum I feel confident that my case was definitely not the norm. Thank you Marcum for making things right.

You are right Valv, I wrote this when I was very frustrated, and now wish I would not have.

Its always good to know problems that people are having so we can make a informed decision on what we buy. I happen to see tons of positives on this site. Way more than negatives. I guess its weather you see the glass as half full or half empty.

That's great news troutstix, and thanks for following up on the post! It's good to know that the folks at Marcum are willing to help you out. Score one for Marcum. Now you've got some more ammo for your buddies that have a Vex. smile.gif

On the good vs. bad customer service posts...it seems to me that there are more positive customer service posts on these boards than negative ones (but maybe that's just my perception). In fact, there are two positive experiences posted on the main board as I write this.

I make my buying decisions based on the positive comments on these boards (both functional and service related). Sounds like I can put a check in the + column for the folks at Marcum.

Well guys, if you are following the "LX-3 First Spin Around the Block" thread, you'll know I have a faulty transducer on my LX-3.

So I sent Marcum customer service an e-mail this morning stating my problem and that I need a new transducer. The kicker is I told them I needed it by Thursday. I really do, I'll be lost at the Burntside Bash without it. I'll bring my old Zercom with but I'm afraid it'll catch a ton of interference from all the other flashers.

I got a phone call after lunch from Marcum, they are shipping me a new transducer yet today and when I receive it, I need to send my old one back in. He said I should have it by Thursday. I'm leaving Fri. morning so that'll be perfect.

So far so good with their Customer Service!

Update.

I have my new transducer in my hand as I write this. 24 hours after Marcum customer service called me, I have it. Awesome!! Only problem is the UPS guy wanted to pick up my old one but I didn't bring it with to work today, I didn't think it would be here that quick. So he'll be picking it up tomorrow and returning it to Marcum.

The exchange didn't cost me a cent. When I sent Marcum the e-mail, I told them I would pay for a new one plus the expedited shipping just so I would have it by Thursday. Apparently they didn't have the same viewpoint I did and I now have a new one at no cost to myself.

This is eactly the type of position I hoped Marcum would take with a problem . It will stand them well in the future if icefishermen are confidant in their purchase and the service they recieve if needed by the Marcum in their quest for their share of the market with Vexilar .

TD