• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canadarago

Gotta report from CNY Bruce. Ice is still 7" of black with about 3" of snow on top, easy walking, Bruce caught good numbers on the north end for perch with just a couple of slobs and 50 or so fish caught mostly on a marmooska. Quads and snow mobiles running around the lake. Bruce ran into Mohawk Valley Joe out there again. Joe how are them reflexes bud?

Things are setting up for a nice Saturday event down there. Right now attendance features hopefully the uncomparable Tuzzy, myself, Bruce, Tyler, Greg, Mike and a cast of others to follow. The Richfield Springs diner opens at 0530 hours and will be there promptly for breakfast at 0600 if any of you lurkers are interested.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timbo . . .I am pretty sure you can count me in and maybe with the Christmas tree down and the daughter back at school I can "stay" longer! LOL. Can't beat that early morning motivation at the diner . . .of course, I am talking about the waitress. Hardy har har . . .

Snowmobile races 15 Jan (Sunday) at 1130 a.m. in front of the launch area if they determine the ice is good to go. I was to have a report from Joes buddy today on conditions but unfortunately he hit a deer on the way to work this a.m. :^(

See you guys at the Richfield Springs diner 0600 hours...

Ice conditions on Canadarago today were still a solid 5"-6" with a few drainage holes scattered through out. When we left there was a good 2" of water along the shoreline. Fished 8' to 38' of water and caught a ton of small perch. Tyler, Tuzzy and I moved around as much as we could but we found some solid action at 33'. Tyler had the only slob but he lost him along with his jig at the hole. It was raining really hard when we got to the ice this morning and then lifted slowly as the winds shifted from the south and came from the west. The last couple of hours we fished traps open. The best part about this trip was having one of my very good friends Tuzzy out on the ice for his first trip of the season and he's doing great since the bypass. Tyler was kind enough to go fetch Tuzzy's sled an run it up the hill for him before we left.

CNY Frank - Gimme a call and I'll give you straight skinny on the access point., Jerry is just the handyman and the signs are coming down.

Just checkin to see if you were dried out yet . . .tried to call your cell and leave a message last night after 10 and this morning at 5 about not making it . . .figured I could shower at home without going an hour to do the same. Great news about Tuzzy! Things will only get better from now on.

Fished in a monsoon today at darago. Talked on the radio with Bill they were fishing by the island east side and it was slow and they had to use a plank to the left of the launch just to go out there. The ice is still a good 6 - 7" off Marble Rd.. The shoreline receeded about 6 more feet from when I got on at 7 a.m. til when I left. The wind and sideways rain blew me off the lake at 1 p.m., I got wet up to my knee coming off. If you go out tomorrow you may need to take your waders, it's good black ice but the shoreline is getting worse and worse. I did fish and caught 5 slob perch and a 16.5" walleye and a bunch of perch between 3" and 8". Kept some 9"s 10"s about 6 of those. What made it bad was the fish were hitting really good when that front came blowing in. But even with Arctic Spurs gripping and sitting in my fishtrap my trap it shifted on me a couple of times., 38 ft. was the best action for me I fished from 8' to 40'

Caught the walleye on the 1/16 oz. go devil perch pattern and the perch came on a YBD black, 3 glow blobs and a red bead tipped with spikes.

Talked with a buddy of mine out there today on the ice and he fished from launch to Hider creek and caught a couple of jumbo perch and a 19" walleye, lot's of small perch too.

The shorelines nice and tight and he said 4 wheeler accesible with 9" of ice on the main lake.

Will be at the Richfield Springs diner at 6:30 a.m., see you fella's in the morning.

Fished Canadarago today with Tyler, Frank, Tuzzy and Wayne and caught a bunch of small perch in 38' to 40' off Marble. 3 slobs and a keeper walleye. Caught the walleye and two of the slob perch on the 1/16 oz. perch Go Devil and caught quite a few perch on the blue glow size 8 Lil Bugger. The lake had a good 7" of black ice and about 3" of snow on top quads and sleds were running about. The guys were doing better getting keepers in front of the creek but we didn't make the move. Franky caught some nice small mouth bass and Wayne caught a dandy of one too, also a couple of nice rock bass and a couple of break off's. Gorgeous day to be out and get some sun. The shorelines firmed up quite nicely the last couple of nights but the high temp today caused some of the snow to squat a little on the thinner ice near the shoreline.

We had a good day on darago and get this... No planks needed what so ever, we have a good 7.5" of ice out there still and having the LXi was priceless today looking for that 12' weedline we like to fish for the perch in., and get this there are still green weeds I ripped some up and the perch loved that, it turned them on. We fished from 8.5' to 14' and I caught 20 keeper perch with 5 slobs over 12" and 10 @ 11" and 5 @ 10" Tuzzy had 15 and Frank had a bunch too, lot's of filletable throwbacks too we let swim away. It started to rain lightly as we left and the shoreline was still in great shape when we departed. I caught a bluegill and some super sized rock bass. Frank got broke off like 5 times today and he lost alot of hali's, don't know if it was smalmouth or walleyes. I had about a 20" walleye on and got him to the hole twice on 2 lb. test and went to lean down to get ready to land him and I accidently gave him a split second of slack and he winked at me and flipped a fin and laughed his a$$ off all the way back down... Aaargh!

Spoons were pretty much effective all day hali's, forage minnow spoons, Go devil 1/16 o.z. pink glow and small nickle pimples/red tab, tipped with spikes. There was a few guys in front of the creek and on the southwest side of the island and alot of blue gill guys in the south west corner. A couple of ATV's were out there running around on the ice as well. Gonna take it easy tomorrow and root for the Steelers tomorrow night.

Fished Canadarago with Tank, Bill, Kyle and Frank caught my limit of perch with plenty of throwbacks. Ten slobs, 6 or so 11's, a few 10's and somes 9's to round it out. Fished 12' to 40' with the best keepers deep. 1/16 oz. Pink Go Devil spoon and gold/glow wolfies tipped with spikes. Bill and I caught a couple of nice rock bass and Tank caught a nice 18" smallmouth. Ice is solid around 7.5" but the shore edge is a little shaky so be careful, ask Tank he'll tell you.. grin.gif Apparently the 3-4" of snow that fell earlier this week was enough to insulate it from the cold weather we have been having. Probably fishing Saturday off Bibic.

I want to give a shout out about the St. Croix Legend UL Ice rods, one word Fantastic... The spring bobber system was instrumental in detecting those light bites in deepwater. Another shout for the MarCum LX-5, what a unit this baby was solid in that 40' of water with the NBT and SFL, stacked fish not a problem deciphering the junior perch from the jumbolia's. Unmatched in detail., that's the understatement of the century. You'll see what I mean soon Tuzzy, your going to love it.

To my trap partner and friend BigJohnnyIce, thank you so much for the trap lights, I recieved them today and am thoroughly impressed! Gonna show the boys tomorrow so expect some orders. Talked to Rosa and she was cool if you wanted to come up Friday Night and spend the night before we hit Darago. The girls are back in college and we have plenty of room upstairs. I'll give you a shout tomorrow. Great day to play hooky today.

Tim buddy, you called me today around 5:30pm but didn't say anything. I was going to call 911 and give them your cell number because it sounded like you thrashing around in the water. I thought, omg he fell in then it sounded like you were throwing your trap and coolers around. Then I was thinking, he will be ok, he has enough stuff to keep him floating.

Just a thought I had, if the ice was breaking around you, do you think your trap would hold you inside with broken ice? I'm always thinking of crazy stuff like that... lol

I called you? I had the cell in the pocket of my Cabela's guide series bibs it's possible I guess, only thing is I was home by 5:30 p.m.? My fishtrap floats but not I repeat not with me in it! I tested it on Morraine a couple of times and it will squat down down some but not over the sled lip, it was fine. With the weight evenly balanced it stayed upright just like a boat and that's with a couple of downhill ski's attached to the bottom too.

We got a good size crew attacking Canadarago tomorrow. Richfield Springs diner attendees include Tuzzy, Frank, Bruce, Joe, Greg, Mike and Wheeler. Dark Cloud and Tank will meet us there. Joe will fish north most likely so there will be plenty of parking, 3 on each side...

Should be fun!

Had a real good day on Darago with the gang many perch were caught. We split up good and cut a lot of holes working all depths of water. I talked to Bruce this evening and he brought home 8 nice ones and also picked up a bag of clothes in a camo bag when he went off the lake at 1:30 p.m. so which one of yous guys dropped the bag grin.gif

Fish were good deep if you had the right holes with less little ones and Tank found em and took home 18-20 nice perch and Jay had a nice mess too. I caught 6 nice ones out deep and banged 6 more nice ones in shallow after Tank and Dark Cloud left. Tuzzy caught one pig deep and caught about 9 slobs shallow and lost about 7 pigs on top of that and was either bitten by the transducer wrap or his big gut getting in the way bending down to pick up the fish. Kudo's to North Shore with a nice eater walleye and thanks for the coathanger hook that thing is awesome. I hope you enjoyed your birthday John and thanks for the venison. Was starving when I got home and cooked up the pan sausage fried it with onions added some eggs and cheese sprinkled over the top. MMMMM good....

The only bad deal of the day for me is my Sedona 1500 stripped a gear where you tighten the bail from the top.

Great day with good friends. Shorlines tightened up quite nicely since Wednesday and I saw a couple of snowmobiles running and a plane landed on the ice, pretty cool.

I found those perch in shallow as I was leaving . . . watched them come on the Marcum and then look down the hole 8 ft to watch them hit. The biggest ate the spoon by the top and the hooks and spikes were hanging out of its mouth. Watched her swim around for about 5 sec with it hanging out her mouth before she spit it out. With the water magnification, they all looked like walleyes from the top. Gave the spot to Tuzzy to work his magic. Hope the lures I gave to John bring him luck.

Tuzzy pulled off that 8' and found some slobs at 12', one was pushing 14" looked like a smallmouth head (it was that ugly). Small nickle pimple red tab with Gamagatsu size 8 single red hook packed with spikes. The owner of the lost clothes bag is North Shore. Bruce will swing by Greg's house to drop it off this week. Seems like as long as it's small they hit it in the deep water and in the shallows the bigger the bait the better. I was ripping an Angel Eye with a hali drooper chain and caught quite a few fish on that. Water at 12' was a little murky to sight fish especially after I sent a jiggin rap down there and tore the dump out of the weeds down there. The most I could see down there was 8' max. I'd like to see what it looks like with Dark Cloud's cam down there, oh my!

FRANK;Thanks a mint for those lures.I caught all my fish on those and the large gold one.I enjoyed seeing all you folks.To bad the fish were not stacked in one area so as we could of stayed together and talked more. TANK or JOHN

John . . .my pleasure to help out! Looks like Tuzzy, Kyle, Wayne and I will be joining the hookey crew on Wednesday. Tuzzy is wearing his lace panties . . .or so he said. Don't know if they make the perch bite better but if they do I guess we all have to take a trip to Vicky's!!!

Now now Frank that's not fair at all... shocked.gif Tuzzy can barely find the on button for his computer for pete's sakes. wink.gif What ever you guys do stay the heck off channel 7 that's CNY Bruce and his new buddies channel grin.gif

Hey Tank looks like a semi-full house for tomorrow., You, Billy, Big Johnny Ice, Frank, Tuzzy (your fishing with me sexy), Kyle, Wayne and I. Breakfast at 6:30...

Big Johnny is bringing the digital camera so that means somebody better get a nice walleye or a big smallie to go with them slob perch.

Even though the bite was off yesterday we still brought home fish to fry. Pail of the day honors goes to Tank with Franky and Bill finishing 2nd and 3rd respectively with Franky getting a slammer 14" what beauty... The color again was gold. Fished 8' to 39' and in most areas you had to fight through the small ones to catch even 8's or 9's with fewer hogs caught than we have seen on recent trips to darago, most feel the solunar table had something to do with it. But that's how it goes, you can't knock the snot out of em everday unless your Tank. smile.gif I want to thank Big Johnny Ice for making the trek out from Rochester, and I also wanted to pass along to you that the guys were very happy to finally meet you. Tuzzy says thanks for the jigs and Frank want's to know when he's gonna get his LOL wink.gif only kidding. I asked Jeff to do me a favor and see if he can post our pics from yesterday that John sent. They came out great John., looking forward to using my camera now... Rosa bought me a new digital camera and I am going to try my darndest to figure out how to post pics for everyone to enjoy. Well have to keep an eye on that wind Friday but the latest I heard was still 25-30 mph gusts Saturday morning. Will keep an eye on it.