• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smokers/ExSmokers

minneman

Question

For you Smokers,Last Wed.Am I had a real I opener, 6:am sitting right here, cup of coffee, havin a smoke, reading the best fishin info around, I feel kinda clammy/hot. I reach up behind me to open the window. after opening I feel as tho I pulled a muscle in my chest. nothing major, just irratating, 10 min. later its more of a heavy feeling, I go lay down next to the wife to strech it off. NOT!
30 sec. of that I wake her with the Scarriest words to ever come out of my mouth.. "I think you should take me into the hospital, "I think im having a heart attack??"

With pain that feels like an elephant standing on my chest we get to emergency and although relieved to be there, I still am in pain. 2 little sprays of nitro and the pain is gone. the next day im shipped to Fargo for an angiogram, and ultimatly angioplasty and a stent for the blockage they found. lucky for me there was only minor damage to my heart, the blockage was not in a major artery.

Here is the thing, Im male, 42 yrs young, and there is no heart disease in the family, None. my Cholesteral level is 164, Im not over weight, 6'3" 205lbs, and am phisically active. My downfall is that ive Smoked for 26 years! !!Quit Now!!

Ex Smokers, please share with me the ways you found things to do to avoid the urge, I havent smoked since 6am wed. and am doing the patch, so far so good, but today I return to work (selfemployed const) and in this biz smoking is the norm. Yes, they will all get an earfull!!

Thanks for your time! I have a totaly new outlook on life now, and sharing this is part of it, hoping that atleast one of you great people will Kick it!! Ted

• Answers 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Congrats to all of you who are making the big and tough choice to quit the heaters and GOOD LUCK in this quest. I quit C/T 3 1/2 years ago and it was very hard to do but it will and can be done by each of you. Just remember it is for your health, yourself and your family. Again GOOD LUCK to you all,Scheuney

I was talked into one of those hypno deals at a bar once where they make ya do stupid stuff, but the guy couldnt get me and a couple others out so I got to go watch instead.

Day 14 today and im down to 3 patches. Yikes!

Went for cardio rehab yesterday and found out it was more an introductory level class. no stress test or anything like that, more a talk on what things I need to do to keep a healthy heart. Smoking being the #1 factor in my case, the lady thought I was a bit too positive about the quiting thing. warning me to be ready for the time when i'll break down and have one. I assured he that I am Done!! she still doubted me, Oh well, she'll see!

She did have one good bit of info on Quiting, and that is too many people try to diet or try to not gain weight when quitting and that combination could be too overwhelming for one to acomplish and ultimatly give in to one or the other. So the most important thing is to worry about the Smoking first then the weight loss. A friend of mine had quit about 1 yr ago and had this mentality, he did gain some weight but over the summer after the urges to smoke had dwindled, he started on a no carb diet and now he's thinner than when I first met him long ago.

Myself Im trying to not replace smoking with food. when at home and I need something for my hands to do I play guitar, or head out to the shop and tinker.

When driving Even though I suck, I find that singing along with the songs on the radio really help with the urge's.

I will say though, after 2 weeks now the urges are really minimal, and pass with a blink of an eye. My caugh, NON Exsistant! sense of smell getting really good, Taste...? I always thought I had a good sense of taste?? I always used to wake myself with a weezing breath in the middle of the night, thats gone! Im not tired at the end of the work day, I used to like to take a quick nap that could last for an hour at times after work, No more! I have more energy now. I used to Yawn like mad after lunch at work, that too is gone.
And my savings for the 2 week period comes to $120.00

Could someone give us a GOOD reason to smoke?? I think NOT!

Keep It Up People!! We Need You Here!!

Ted

Minneman
Wow! This post has come a long way since I last contributed. Congrats.
Last nite at midnight, it has been 14 months since I had my last cigarette. Although I think of them on a daily basis, I think the urge is mostly gone. It is still the triggers that get me to think of it. I guess smoking for 35 years really was a lifelong habit. I'm just a smoker that no longer smokes.
I sure hope this post continues to grow and add new non-smokers. Hang in there and it sure does get easier.

Congrats to those of you that are quitting smoking. Stating that you have made it to day 8 or whatever day you are on may not mean much to someone who never smoked, but to someone like me that also kicked that habit it means something. Stay with it, it will get to a point where not smoking seems normal smile.gif

[This message has been edited by upnorth (edited 10-01-2003).]

How we all doing so far??

Day 16 here, Im on my last patch and plan to get along w/out them from here on out. not ruling out a weaker batch though. we'll see how it goes..?

Im still on my original bag of sugarless candy, and find im not so prone to grab a pc like I use to. things are going good for me!

How bout YOU??

Lost trackof the "days" with out, but it is around 2 months now for me.

20 years of smoking. TO be honest I want to smoke as I write this.
However, when I quit, I told myself I didn't want to be controlled by anything else in my life and smoking was the last thing that controlled me and my behavior.

Quitting is a way to gain complete control of my life which is a wonderful feeling in itself.

I caution others in taking a drug that alters
brain function. You need to want to quit, plain and simple. Don't waste your time and cause undue stress for others if your not serious about it!

I have been very difficult to get along with since I quit. That worries me more than anything else. My wife Susie probably wished I still smoked!lol

Good luck all.

By the way...more money for fishing, more energy to walk the stream, carry the auger and lift my children high in the sky!!!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

I think it's day 10 for both me and my wife. Both cold turkey. We've had a few little spats over absolutely nothing (cig. withdrawal) but we are both going strong and are going to lick this dragon. I have a bag of mini carrots at home that help out and seeds in the truck at times. We found this 50 day chart that tells different things that are going on with quiting put out by Health Partners. For example: Day 4."Your blood pressure, heart rate and the temperature in your hands and feet have normalized. That's great! Keep going!"
This chart is great. I can make photo copies for anyone that wants one but also try calling Health Partners and ask for "The Sure-fire Fifty-Day Way to Stop Smoking!"

GOOOOOOD Luck and hang in there everyone.

Fivebucks
I posted that on page 3 of this thread. Do some more charting of the advantages of quitting.
I'm not a numbers guy but......(breaks out mental pencil and eraser)
Pack a day at 3.50.......times 365......equals...........
Good God! almost 1300 bucks a year!!!!!!
You could have that new A.T.V. paid off in 4-6 years. Why not buy yourself a new Super Black Eagle? You could have it paid off by the start of next years waterfowl season.

Face it man. One day you are definitely going to stop smoking. It's a question of weather you get to throw away the ashtrays, or get poured into one.........

Thanks for the thread Ted,
Everyone will quit smoking one day, one way or another.. It' just my turn, been two days now for me, using the patch, the cravings havent been too bad. I was smoking 2 to 2.5 packs a day, wife was at about a pack a day,were both quitting. My wifes mom was just released from the hospital today, went in last weekend with breathing troubles, diagnosed with COPD.. 55 is too young to be going thru that dump. If she doesnt change her ways the doc gave her 5 years to go tops.. All the kids are quitting in support of her...Glad to see there are others here going thru the recovery process too, Keep it up!! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Still hangin in there!!
Havin a helluva time in the boat tho. Need to replace the old routine/habit with a new one..
Used to be I'd (or anyone in the boat for that matter} catch a fish, have a smoke as a reward, just before I'd move and change locations, have a smoke, arrive at spot, have smoke and look it over, pretty scenery , have a smoke and take it in. Last night the fishin was pretty good almost a whole pack kinda evening but I managed even with and old freind in the boat who just started smoking after quitting for 10 years. I dont have a monkey on my back its more like a troop of mountain gorillas. lolol Good luck all!! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425

Welcome onto this thread Paul and I wish you the best of luck. I'm on day 12. My 50 day chart says:
"Your likelihood of having a heart attack has already decreased. How's that for a quick reward?"
This is day 10's message:
"Don't expect to feel free of nicotine yet. That dragon grew strong, big and mean from all the nicotine you fed him before. Research tells us that your brain chemistry is still getting back to normal. Remember, withdrawal symptons do end. You just have to wait them out! The urges and symptoms you're feeling won't last forever. Time is completely on your side."

I'll continue to throw these out there cause they help me and if they help anyone else out it's worth it.
GOOD LUCK OUT THERE! WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!

Welcome, Paul! & congrats to the rest!
I'm still Free! Finishing Day 11.
I'm putting together a package deal for myself - 1 week sober, too. Seems like the right time.
Longest ride on that one in 22 years has been 8 weeks. I've been an alcoholic since before I had my learner's permit.
Dang, Ted. I don't believe in coincedence - you started something here at just the right place & time for lots of us. Someday I'll have to buy you a...whatever it is that sober people buy each other on those occasions. wink.gif

Peace,
Rob

I have been tossing that around too.. I think that if there is a chance of failing the no smoking, it will most likely happen while drinking. another part of being in control.

fivebucks, keep em coming! good info!

I had a rough day yesterday,
a buds gonna take some pics, with his new Dig. camera, has it up on a tripod and I back into it and boom, it hits the ground. and sure enough it quit working..$450..??

then to take some time to relaxa the wife and I decide to take the big 22' boat out. we get to the access and sure enough here is Joe braindead blocking the access, waiting for 15 min. I get out and try not to loose my cool and tell the guy to get the fork out of my way please! 5 min later he's gone and we back in.
were out a half mi, just puttin and I look back to see the plug sitting on the seat. Yikes! water showin up on the floor now, so I speed up to try to get some back out heading back to the access, sure enough Joe Braindead's brother is at the access now, blocking the way out. he finaly is out of the way we pull up to the dock and I jump out. check the pockets..no keys.. (boat is sinking) the wife finds them on the floor and gives them a toss to me, You guessed it, in the lake 3-4' deep I get to go for a swim. to get them back.

got it back on the trailer and drained, then all was well, But, Oh how I wanted a smoke when I got back in the cockpit and finaly on our ride. the worst day since I quit! but I did not fail!!

Day 19 today!
Have a Great smoke free day people!!

Awesome Thread!! I've been a pack a day for the past 25 years. Everyone in my family has quit but me. I've tried at least 5 times (6 months has been my best) and keep going back. The day will come very soon that I'll give it another shot. It's nice to know when that day comes, there's support from fine people like all of you. Good Luck!

Jim

I pretty much whipped the drinking thing about 9 years ago. Funny thing is I never actually told myself to quit, I allow myself one or two crazy nights a year and leave it at that. I've got beer leftover in the fridge from a 12 pack I bought 2 memorial weekends ago, pretty sad huh? lol When I met my wife I worked construction on the road building and repairing grain elevators and grain handling equipment. Good life for a single guy who likes to drink, in fact thats about all I did other than sleep and work. I think I got tired of being hung over and broke all the time. I dont miss it either, takes that once or twice a year to remind myself of the fact...I'll apologize ahead of time for turning down the beer you offered but I will take a cold pepsi!! STILL NOT SMOKIN!! thanks guys and gals!! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425

i didn't want to post this because i'm embarresed about my failure to quit smoking the last two days. Both yesterday morning and to day, i put on a patch, (inspired by you guys), and both days i made it til later in the day and started again. I am going to try again, but i must say i really didnt think it was going to be this hard. I quit drinking many years ago, but only after losing a job and a family. Lets hope it doesnt take that lol

All you can do is get back in the boat even if the fish just kicked your butt..Been like 5 days here now, today was a little better, starting to break the routine up. Just keep the mind busy and I've been ok.. Oh yea, I've also been working over a bag of tootsie roll suckers. So instead of carrying around on that all so conviently packaged pack of smokes I got a big bag of suckers to hand out. BIG HINT, Buy tootsie roll stock!lolol It should be going up.
Seriously tho, just keep trying, it'll happen, I've failed in the past too...We can already see the difference in the checkbook.. Good luck and hang tough! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425

Hey mrmillelacs do not give up!!!!!! This is just like dieting - if you screw up one day just start at the beginning the next day. Maybe you need to look at what made you smoke on those two days and maybe you will see a pattern you can break.

I knew two guys that were alcoholics and smoked and had cancer. They both quit drinking but could not quit smoking. I suppose you have noticed I am speaking in the past tense. Neither one of them are alive now. We still miss them.

Please do it for the people that love you! I would think that anybody that could sit in a boat all day long and wait for one fish to bite could do this. grin.gif I know big talk from a person that has never smoked - but I do hate second hand smoke. Good luck and keep on this thread for help!

------------------
Phyl

mrmillacs,

There is a couple of things I would like to add to what others have given you. When you are having cravings bad, don't sit and stew about not having a cigarette, get up and do something fun or something positive and rewarding. If you sit there and wish you could have a cigarette too long, you will smile.gif

Also making a list of reasons why you want to quit and reading them when you are in a bad spot may get you through that bad time. Keep that list in your pocket, sometimes just reaching in your pocket and grabbing for it is enough.

These are some simple things that helped me a lot, they made quitting smoking much easier for me. They may help you.

Quitting smoking needs a lot of motivation to quit. But it can be done. There is a lot of good wisdom in this thread and support that is available here, use it.

[This message has been edited by upnorth (edited 10-07-2003).]