Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
red bricks

Hitch problems

11 posts in this topic

I have a removable reciever hitch that has rusted together. I had tried applying WD-40 every day for a week and applying heat. I have been able to move it only about 1/4". It is hard to get a good swing with a hammer because it is so close to the bumper. Any suggestions on how to seperate the two. Thanks

Hey Red. Put a chocker or chain around it and attach end to a fixed object and pull ahead. Good luck, Junky.....

I've been there before.
Soak in Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster.
Use a pneumatic Air Hammer. Keep working it in and out till and you'll get it off.

The chain idea will only work if you get the chain at the exact same level as the hitch, otherwise it will bind and not come out. The best thing is to get a buddy to help. One has to pull on the hitch while the other taps all around the receiver with a hammer. It will take some time and not move much in the beginning, but keep at it and you will get it.

Rather than trying to hammer it out of the receiver , try to hammer it in to break up the rust, then you may be able to get it out easier. Or is the front of the receiver open? crawl under the vehicle and try to hammer it out from that direction.

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 09-16-2003).]

Liquid wrench, a hammer and a friend with leather gloves worked for me. Wiggle, tap, wiggle wiggle, tap tap. Slow process. Once out grease the snot out of the whole unit.

Had the same problem b4 , an old timer told my hook a heavy chain to it stand back so there is some slack in the chain and crack it like a whip .

A less destructive and less back-breaking approach would be to drive to your local body shop. They have a tool called a slide hammer or "Morgan knocker" which is VERY effective at moving things that don't want to move. Also, with this particular tool, clearance with the bumper or "swing room" isn't a problem. Most shops probably won't even charge you. Worst case scenario- 30 bucks. Look at it this way, if you look at what your time and the health of your back are worth, it's probably 30 bucks well spent.

------------------
Steve @ www.bakkensboatshop.com

Thanks for all of the great replies. I think I will try bringing it to a shop. I have spent too many hours oiling, heating and pounding the s*!t out of that thing. Less frustrating. Thanks