• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hitch problems

red bricks

Question

I have a removable reciever hitch that has rusted together. I had tried applying WD-40 every day for a week and applying heat. I have been able to move it only about 1/4". It is hard to get a good swing with a hammer because it is so close to the bumper. Any suggestions on how to seperate the two. Thanks

10 answers to this question

The chain idea will only work if you get the chain at the exact same level as the hitch, otherwise it will bind and not come out. The best thing is to get a buddy to help. One has to pull on the hitch while the other taps all around the receiver with a hammer. It will take some time and not move much in the beginning, but keep at it and you will get it.

Rather than trying to hammer it out of the receiver , try to hammer it in to break up the rust, then you may be able to get it out easier. Or is the front of the receiver open? crawl under the vehicle and try to hammer it out from that direction.

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 09-16-2003).]

A less destructive and less back-breaking approach would be to drive to your local body shop. They have a tool called a slide hammer or "Morgan knocker" which is VERY effective at moving things that don't want to move. Also, with this particular tool, clearance with the bumper or "swing room" isn't a problem. Most shops probably won't even charge you. Worst case scenario- 30 bucks. Look at it this way, if you look at what your time and the health of your back are worth, it's probably 30 bucks well spent.

------------------
Steve @ www.bakkensboatshop.com