• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

i haven't been out ice fishing.( and i may not at all) hopefully ice john or one of the other guys that do, will be able to tell you some thing .if not, post back before you come. if you haven't been on the lake, i could give you some places to start. del

picks . i talked to ice john the other day. he let it slip that guys have been catching nice perch around the mouth of the N.W. bay. he affirmed that straight out from the ramp, and along the pt. out from the ramp and slightly right there are brush piles in that area. del

Was there today lots of snow on the ice hard working.Fished straight out from boat ramp30 ft.from West bank 15fow.Slow Crappie bite slow and small gillsMoved back East75ft.22fow better fishing a friend got 16 nice gills.We fished flutter jigs they have 2 small blades on them green and white worked good.Will be there in the morning I hope for 3or4 hours.ICE JOHN blush.gif

the spring fishing has been good, even with the crazy weather ! earlier the crappie spawn produced numbers of crappies in the 9-10 in range. ( these were mostly males. the females were smaller and full of eggs) and some 7-8 in. gils in the mix. lately the late evening bite has been awesome. just before dark the water surface just comes alive. fishing a small jig below a float brings in crappie and gils. you have to sort thru them, but gils in the 9+ range and crappies in the 10 + range are there to be caught. the gils haven't spawned as of yet, but are close. with some constant weather and a moon phase the spawn should be going. grin.gif

i tlaked to some guys tues. that said the eveing bite is still going strong. they said the bass are starting to go strong too. ( i've been busy with golf meets and getting ready for my twins graduation, so not much free time. tongue.gif)

i finally got the boat out last night!!! my son and i fished from 5:30 til about 9:00. we mainly fished for bass. had a good night. we caught 15, with three pushing the 4# mark. lures used; buzz bait,carolina rig with a fluke or a zipper worm,jig and plastic, and a tube jig.lots of people fishing.( about 13 boats on the water) talked to some folks that were doing well on gils and perch. we did catch several nice perch ( 9-10 in) and then fished for gils just before dark. the gils were busting the surface all over the lake. every one we caught was a female full( and looking like they are ready to burst!) of eggs. a good night! grin.gif

my son and i went ot the lake sunday evening. oh boy! i exspected there would be alot of people, so that is why we went over at 5:30 pm. there were still 20+ boats on the water. the fish were spooked. we tried a drop off but noting. we finally went to two of the bays after the other boats left. we did catch a few bass off trees and brush. but thing got better once it got close to dusk. tehn teh surface bite got going on the shallow flats using buzzbaits . did have some action witha jig and plastic combo too.my son caught one about 4 lbs and another around 3 ! i got one small one.( i couldn't hook em!!!! mad.gif) i did panfish some. nice gils, but again mostly bloated females. we still had a good night.( atleast this time i had thecamera to get pics. of his two bigger fish!!)

i went over and fished for a couple of hours last night. planned on doing both bass and panfishing, but spent most of my time after bass! i started out using a senco type plastic. i missed one fish, but caught four on it.a 1 1/2 ,a 4, and two smaller ones . then i switched to a ultra lite hula popper. nothing big, but on a light rod and 4# line i had a blast! ( caught 7 ) i did have problems with some of them taking the popper deep.( i did finally crimp the barbs down) i had to tie on a new popper due to having to cut the hooks on the first one. the second poper was a white and red. they didn't care for that one as much as the black one. ( not bad for two hours!) no panfish. grin.gif

i fished the lake for a while this morning. only managed to catch one little bass on a senco. missed one on a jig. tried black/blue jig and plastic, senco rigged texas, but with one weight,buzzbait,hula popper. tired a crank bait at teh 5-7 and the 8-10 ft range with no takers. most of teh guys i talked to bass fishing, had about the same luck. the panfishierman were doing ok, with bait. nice gils and some perch. i couldn't get any takers on plastics. water temp ranged from 75-77 degrees.

went and fish the lake this morning with fish hook. we tried for bass at first with out any luck. got bored so started in after panfish. we used a drifting routine. this worked fairly well. nothing big, but the action was enough to keep things interesting. i kept about a doz. med gils for a meal. no perch or crappies. fun morning, but warm! and yes ! i got out fished !!

Del: Got hit by lightning Thursday night so been without the internet until today. Thanks for a fun morning on the Volga. I really enjoyed it and am glad we finally got to meet. I think an outing on the links is the next order of business. What do you say?

Fishook

we braved the heat this morning and fished volga. tried for bass the first hour, nothing. ( tried bizzbaits,spinner baits,senco,and ultra hula popper) the panfishing was better.since there was no wind for drifting, i used the trolling motor and slowly trolled using small jigs and or a hook and split shot tipped with wax worms. the active fish seemed to be in the 9-12 ft depth with fish coming either just off the bottom or 2 ft or so above. all gils. casting didn't produce either. i kept 20. not huge, but most would cover your hand.( or close!!) we probably caught 40 +. not a bad morning. mercy it was hot!!

i went over to the lake last night for a while. i didn't catch anything from shore.Hmmmm!! but did talk to one of the boaters. they did well drifting for gils with a couple of perch as a bonus.

i fished the lake for a while this morning, just checking to see if the crappies have moved in yet. NOPE!! i had one that got me into a brush pile and one other small one. the gils are still going well on wax worms or pcs. of crawlers.

went there today got 50 fish 22 would have been keepers 8 small bass 5 to 6 inch.All fish caught on Beadhead Fly and waxies.pond fish in afternoon 15 gills and some bass .All fish lot go.ICE JOHN FISH ON blush.gif

Not one Crappie lots of boats on the lake.Didnt get to talk to any of them.Bank fished the jetty with the bench.4ft. deep with bobber.You have to come over I can show you some really nice Bass in a pond or ponds.ICE JOHN FISH ON

i may have to pass on the ponds.( i had knee surgery last week; but they didn't grind as much out of the joint, so getting back into things alot faster than the first one a few years ago) but will be at the lake checking on the fall crappie bite.

del,Good luck with your knee.My left one is still giving me alot pain going down or up stairs guess where the bedroom is?Went to pondX today 40+ fish caught7 nice bass caught on small gills being landed.What a rush all fish let go. Still have fish to eat in ice box.ICE JOHN FISH ON blush.gif

i went over to the lake this morning. the water is very dirty! coulod only see a white jig down to about 10 inches or so.not shure why, wether the lake has turned over ( but didn't see any garbage floating) or if the wind and rain stired it up.only managed to catch one gil.i should have taken one of my bass rods along !! they were working all over the place. may try again wed.