• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

OK motorheads, time to shine!

chunkytrout

Question

My 71 Johnson 60 Triple has had an ongoing powerpak (amplifier) problem. This is it's second pack and I'm NOT putting in a new one. I've been told there's a simple solution involving a 12V auto coil with resistor/condensor to replace the original. Anyone got the scoop on this conversion?

chunky

5 answers to this question

Ouch!

It sounds like you have an underlying problem that is taking out the power pack.

Stray currents from a possible short somewhere or a lfunction of another electrical ignition system component are my thoughts.

Let me do some searching. I can't recall of the top of my head right now what the case is, but this has been an issue before.

As far as you're general coil replacement for the powerpack, I am not aware of any. This motor is a 71', so there is alot less funky "gizmo's" being ran off the pack.

I'll get back to ya'

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

UJ, the leads go direct to the points (nowhere else). I've checked for spikes in V's best I could but no results. Ya notice this motor runs the hottest plugs available? Strange set-up but when she's running right you can't beat her. I know for a fact the coil conversion exists. I just want to hear it from the horses mouth if you know what I mean.

chunk