• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Underwater Cams!!

Norco

Question

What's a better camera, the Atlantis or Aqua-vu. Im looking at the lower end units of both. I have an FL-18 so all the gadgets on the high end models are useless. I have done a search but the info was mostly on the Marcom which I can't get here. Thanks

5 answers to this question

I use the Aqua View SV (Smart View) Series and find it handier then most underwater camera systems. You get temp and a compass with this package.

aqua4.jpg

The compass feature is in my eyes a MUST. The ability to know your orientation underwater keeps you on fish, and not guessing what way they went. If you are fallowing schooling fish this feature will fill the bucket.

Out of all the new whistles and bells cameras offer, the compass is the one that pays off.

The temp meter is handy, you can learn a lot with it!

I do not see lights as a big draw, no matter what manufacture you buy. Mostly because the lights often work in a limited band of water clarity, or they spook the fish. The Aqua View lights appear to be a bit more user friendly and not as spooky to fish, yet they still will spook certain fish.

Last winter I spent many a hour with the Aqua View SV just scouting and observing fish. The camera system never failed me and I learned much that put me on more fish faster.

aqua8.jpg

I once considered all underwater cameras just toys, not any longer. They are tools, and a very educational one at that!

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"
701-281-2300
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 09-06-2003).]

BackwaterEddy,

that was a good post,I never really thought about it like that.Could you give some more details on how the compass helps? Do fish move or hold in a certain direction?Thanks

------------------
Have an Ice day :)

The main difference between the 2 units is the monitor. Marcum uses a very small T.V. Monitor, which will actually show you a better screen. Aqua Vu uses a projection screen, not quite as clear as the Marcum, HOWEVER, Aqua-vu by using the projection screen is able to seal thier unit to be completely water resistant. I have dropped mine in the water and still used it... I have used my aqua-vu in the rain and never had a problem. I dont think you want to get a TV monitor wet.

Just my .02¢

IceC the compass helps by allowing you to know for sure, not guess, what way the fish are moving. The ability to track fish on the move is very handy on the ice, or on open water.

Orienting yourself to structure is the next big benefit. Such as this weed line runs 28 deg West and the gravel starts East at 220 deg and ends at 280 deg off to the South by East.....yada-yada-yada.

Many trips are made or busted by poor orientation on structure. The more you know the better off you can interpret what the fish are up to. The ability to track fish/structure under the ice on rivers was a huge help for me last season!

There are more nifty uses, trolling options are another big one. If you use the downrigger kit and the cam...well lets just say..that's very cool too!

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"
701-281-2300
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 09-08-2003).]

I wouldn't say that the Aqua-Vu is waterproof by any stretch of the imagination. I have 2 Z60s go bad with leaks and I didn't submerse the screens. Just a little rain.

On warranty, I have had 4 Aqua-Vu jrs., 2 Aqua-Vu Z60s and now am using the old style Aqua-Vu housing with a Z60 camera. The new solution has worked for over a year now. I only had to re-solder a couple of wires once.

I use cameras quite a bit on ice and when checking out new areas in open water. Believe it or not I am very careful not to damage the units. By nature (or poor manufacturing and quality testing) these things seem to be fragile.

The compass would be cool for winter and the water temp would be very nice in open water. I wouldn't worry about lights or infra-red.