• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garmin GPS 72 or Magellan Meridian????

Johnsonator

Question

I can't choose between the garmin gps 72 and the magellan meridian. Anybody have any thoughts on this, these seem like nice units that are very cost effective. I will be using them most for hunting around minnesota and out west. thanks

6 answers to this question

Both are nice but I purchased the Magellan Meridian Gold for a couple reasons.

1. I had problems with both of my garmin depthfinders, and discovered that garmins tech support is absolutely a freakin nightmare. It took 4 phone calls and waiting on hold for more than 40 minutes just to talk to a human. and then after they charged me somethin like 75 dollars to fix it they gave me a 90 warranty. Well up here when you get your unit back in late november its pretty hard to test the thing until the ice clears in 5 months and guess what is didnt work. Tried callin again and it was the same thing over and they wouldnt fix it under the warranty because my 90 says had expired.
Thats why now I will only buy a Lowrance when it comes to sonars.

2. I actually got to test a Meridian, and a couple garmins: The meridian I feel is built better and easier to use. The Meridian would stay "locked" on the sat in areas of heavier cover and trees where the garmin wold lose its signal. Not to say it wont ever loose its signal, it just stayed locked on longer.

But to the garmins positive is the garmin was easier on batteries and it would lock faster when initially powering up.

I use my gps for hiking, fishing, traveling, kayak/conoeing, bike trips you name it so in the long rin I needed the most durable gps I can count on and the meridian is my choice.
I have had the Magellan Meridian Gold for more than a year now and I do not have any complaints whatsoever. My wife has a Magellan SporTrak and they are moderfull units also.
Good Luck, have fun.

You are trying to compare apples to oranges. Garmin 72 is a plotter, Meridan is a mapping GPS. That feature alone is like comparing a bicycle to a moped. Both are great. They just do different things.

P.M. me for further advice.

I guess I am looking for a plotter so I can see the route I have taken. I will be using it most for hunting purposes. I want to be able to go hunting in the mountains and not have to worry about getting back to where I have started. I think the meridian also has a plotter and it has mapping software. I guess what I am asking is, is the meridian gps everything that the garmin 72 is plus mapping software. If not explain. thanks

I own a Garmin locater and 2 Garmin GPS's. I once had problems with my locater, I called the service dept. in Kansas and they immediatly told me to send it in and issued me a tracking number....Even after the warranty had expired. 3 years maybe? Had it back in about a weeks time, just in time for my Lake Erie trip. Service from Garmin? For me I'd give them a BIG thumbs up! The GPS's are great, e-trek and GPS 12. I prefer the GPS 12 because its ability to give me steady speed readings while I troll, e-trek tends to "jump" around alot. Plotting your locations? I love the Garmin products!

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

I have a Magellan Maridian Marine GPS and would not trade it for any other manufacturers GPS. It is nearly similar to the Gold unit, with the exception of different waypoints on mine(marinas, buoys, etc)

The Magellan will do everything you need it to do. Maps can be uploaded to your unit which will include altitudes if you desire (for out west), and very good road, and water detail for traveling by vehicle, foot, or boat.

The most important thing to me with these units is they have never lost a signal on me .. and I have done a ton of traveling around the country, and back into the deep woods on ATV's and NEVER lost a signal.

These units will plot your course, or trail.. I dont think a monkey could get lost with one of these units.

Spend the extra money, you will not regret it.