Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aquaman01

Catch-n-Tackle - Ring-n-Grubs

3 posts in this topic

Sunday my son (4) & I fished with Rick & Dennis at Frog Stomp in Fargo and Rick sampled to my son with some Ring-n-Grubs. Thanks!

So anyway, Monday night finds us back at Lake Osakis at our favorite shore spot (a little secret hole special to us and a couple of hundered locals) tossing crawlers for sunnies and little bass and a couple of local boys about 8 or 9 come up and start fishing. They're pretty friendly, so my son 'samples out' some of the Ring-n-Grubs to them.
First cast with a chartreuse/orange grub and one of these local kids pulls out a 3lb. LM bass from a shore-hole the size of your living room. It was rigged kind of Carolina (one of my carp kahles & some split shot). We'd been saturating the area with live bait for an hour and didn't rouse this mama, but the Catch-n-Tackle Ring-n-Grub did the trick.

Thanks Rick & Catch-n-Tackle! You made two kids' day.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
"The bow is set to distant shore,
then loss is gained and gains once more.
When beach is reached and sails are torn,
the journey is it's own reward."

My pleasure Aquaman.

Little Eric is going to be a dyno angler, not too bad already for a 6 year old.

I'm happy to hear he shared the wealth with the other kids and that they had good luck with an artificial when live bait wasn't kicking them out. I've noticed that pattern a little more lately as well.

As those waters start cooling down, that's when the Catch-N tackle plastics really start shining on walleyes. If you haven't tried it, get out there and really work it until you master it.

Once you do, you can really cut down on having to bait your jigs up all the itme and be more productive getting after those fall walleyes.

Those Ring-N Grubs are pretty good. As you know Backwater Eddy nailed a dandy walleye on one rigged with a Super-do Weedless jighead. I prefer the Ring-N Tube for walleyes, but the Ring-N Grub is pretty good as well.

For those of you looking for more info...

for Catch-N Tackle - Click Here

Hmmm...split shot rigged plastics! My secret is out...okay I'm NOT the only one using that rig. Aquaman, that specific method of fishing works great for just about anything, including walleyes. It's a very simple method that is great to use with kids because it's nearly tangle and snag-free. If you get a snag and loose the tackle your out a hook and split shot... grin.gif

Keep using that rig and here's a variation for walleyes...split shot with a floating jig head, such as the "hook up" variety that catch-n tackle carries. I use this combo on Koronis and Big Birch (by grey eagle) during the fall on steep drops. Both lakes are loaded with "shear" drop-offs. The walleyes slide up on bars with this type of structure just before dark.

What makes this rig work???? One - I maintain a taunt line with the bait vs a slip sinker rig so I can feel ANY weight from a strike & Two - I can fan-cast this rig like a jig and work diferent depths of the structure I am fishing. EASY CHEESY!! Oh yeah...I usually anchor when I am doing this wink.gif

Also another reason to consider this is some structure is just toooo ackward to fish any other way, such as trolling plugs.

Sounds like you had a fun day and your son has the making's of a great fishermen! Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Serving Central MN rivers & lakes

[This message has been edited by Navigator (edited 09-02-2003).]