Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Broken glass

6 posts in this topic

The sunroof on my junky work car shattered over the weekend. It's still in place, but ready to collapse. Duct tape is holding it together for now wink.gif

Is there any kind of epoxy I can smear on it to bond all the cracks to keep it from blowing out? I really don't want to replace the sunroof as it will probably cost more than what the car is worth!!!!

Thanks.

CD -

Give that junkyard up around Erhard a call. I bet they'll have what you need.

Tom Minten at Battle Lake Auto Body may be able to help you with the expoxy question, or he may have a line on a replacement as well.

Dont bother with a fix! Get a new one at a junk yard. I tried the fix it route and they leak, especially when that bad. Probably cost more for instilation than the glass.

Couple thoughts....I assume it is safety gas, if so, doesn't leak because there is a thin plastic sheet between two glass plates, that is what is holding it together....there is a two part epoxy for bar tops(menards or home depot), would be pretty clear...potential problems being, the extra weight may colapse it, or the epoxy may react and disolve the platic sheet or you plexiglass. good luck, let us know.

The sunroof is all electric and custom fit, it's also a Subaru. I looked at it and it's going to take a pro to fix this one, trust me. Just installation will cost a pretty penny.

I know this is corny, but I'm thinking fiberglass resin repair mixed with hardner and custom cut a piece of plexiglass and glue it to the underside of the sunroof glass. Anything but put money into this beater!!

The glass is shattered, soft and fragile, but it doesn't leak a drop! I tested it.