• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for Rob?

Question

What set of fleece layering system would you recommend for under a guide gear suit? I want something that can also pass in public if I strip off the fowl weather gear and hit a restaurant.

I see many new sets in this winters Cabela's cold weather duds catalogue but want something that can be worn as is too. Are there any Polar Tech lines snow paints with the double ankle cuffs with a matching jacket?

Has anyone ever seen heavy fleece bibs anywhere? I think they would be darn handy layering if they had Velcro shoulder straps & Rip Stop wear parches on the knees and seat. Does anyone know of a custom shop who does made to order sporting wear?

Any tips or suggestions would help a lot, too much new good stuff to chouse from this winter I guess.

Thank's

ED

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson
Backwater Guiding Service
10409 Co. Rd #17 S
Horace, ND. 58047

[email protected]

1-(701)-281-2300

12 answers to this question

Ed-I almost ordered some of that Cabela's Guidewear this past summer and didn't because with out actually seeing the clothing up close I couldn't tell from the picture how well the stuff is made for "WINTER WEAR". I was worried that it was more for wind and rain associated with spring,summer and fall and wasn't sure if it was made to withstand winters "BONE-CHILLIN" extremes.For five hundred dollars I figured my duck-gear could carry me through another ice season. If you use this stuff during the winter for chasing walleyes around on the ice, could you let me know what you think of the stuff.I was and still am contemplating the parka and bibs but I would like to hear first-hand how versatile the investment would be. Maybe another trip down to Owatonna is in order? Thanks for your input---Troy

Best investment I EVER made, no question about it!

I use in -30 and no problem, toasty, dry, ice does not accumulate like on other materials, great cold weather stuff.

I bought a size bigger to layer for extreme conditions but even in warmer weather it self regulates heat and moisture to act like a thermostat, you stay warm and dry not roasting.

I do like fleece to layer under it as it is light weight and will move with you well.

Add a good hat and Gore Tex boots and your the man on the job when others are back home hugging the fire & missing out on the bite.

Well worth it!

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 10-21-2001).]

One more thing.

Cabela's has the best exchange policie I have ever seen anywere. If ANYTHING is wrong, even if you don't like the color, bring it back with the receipt and bingo, get another set, no problem, done deal.

That is worth a few extra bucks I would say?

Check the bargan cave they may have returns there that will be as good as new and save big too.

Thank you, for the quick response and you told me exactly what I hoped you would. I like to know that my money is being spent wisely. If the product is that good,I won't have any qualms about spending the money on it. I do love the bargain cave,it's my first stop once I'm in the front door. Let's see now about the color,..hmmmm. I hope someone returns a red,black or blue parka and bibs in my size.Thanks again Ed,I really appreciate it.--Troy

Backwater,
The best pants I have found for under the guidewear are the premium fleece pants 92-1262. They have enough pockets and dont look bad worn alone. For the top in above zero weather, any type of fleece is perty good. But when it does get cold I go for the 300 series fleece. It is very warm.
The wind stopper fleece is great stuff too. It can be worn alone or under guide wear. It is warm enough for runs out to tip-ups. Without putting on all your gear.
The knees on both of these pants are covered with nylon so the don't bind up while walking.

Rob

Take any sock with cotton in them and put them way in the back of the drawer. Start with a Thermax or poly pro liner sock, turn these liners inside out to keep the seam from pushing into your toes. Then a heavier sock of wool or wool/Thermax blend.
Boots are kinda tricky. Ones that are great for stationary warmth are not good for walking and vice versa. I have two pair for ice fishing. A pair of LaCrosse Ice Bowls (Hermann Munsters) and a pair of Rocky Extremes. Both are rated for -135. But I use the Rockys if I have to do much walking. But brand or model are not near as important as fit. If they are the least bit tight your feet will get cold. One important thing is to be sure and dry your boots out every night. Your feet still sweat when it is cold. If they have liners pull them out to dry.

Rob

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I spent all last year in fleece and Gore-tex rain wear from Cabelas and was always toasty warm and I was out a lot.

The nice part is, I got to use the rain wear all spring summer and this fall as well. Good Bye heavy winter bibs and jacket. It works great.

One other thing about Cabela's. Last fall I bought one of those new dry cell batteries for my boat (they run about $160). This summer it quit taking the charge. 10 months after purchasing it drove it down to Cabela's with my cancelled check and explained what was wrong. They said "oh I'm sorry, go get a new one and bring it back up here." I told them I had already replaced the battery. They promptly gave me money back. Now that's taking care of the customer.

Paul
[email protected]

All,
Cabea's is a class act that is for sure, another thing that i feel is very important is to get rid of any of that old cotton thermal long underwear and replace it with one of the high wicking synthetics out there, just NEVER PUT THEM IN THE DRYER, i layer with a pair of those, fleece pants, and nylon wind pants and jacket, and a pair of liner socks and lightly insulated boots, then i pull my portable, drill holes, and get settled in, from a duffle bag i pull out expedition weight wool socks, and a pair of Sorel -40 boots for sitting in the portable, i use a small piece of closed cell foam under the boots to insulate them from the ice, this way i can sit for hours and fish in comfort without my boots being wet with sweat from the settingup activity, i keep an extra layer of fleece and a heavy parka in the duffle as well just in case.

Backwater,
As far as socks I recommend the wool/blend socks. I am drawing a blank on the name brand, but they run about $15 a pair. Last winter I only had to wear one pair in my Rocky Snow stalkers. Where as in the past, multiple paris were worn.
They absorb sweat/moisture like no ither sock I've owned!!

JIm W
PS, I'll try hard to remember the name brand

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

And if Jim would've washed that pair sometime during the season he would've saved a few folks a lot of suffering.