• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow mounts on Magnum175 tiller

fleeced

Question

I'm looking to buy a Alumacraft Magnum 175 tiller. How many pound thrust Minnkota bow mount should I look at? I fish mostly walleyes in medium to large water and plan on using a Suzuki 70hp on the stern.

Thanks

6 answers to this question

fleeced...I run a 1775 Lund Pro V (about the same rig). First off I would go with a 24 volt system. Second off I would go with the largest thrust motor that was offered in a 24 volt system. When I bought mine the highest was 65 lbs. I don't know what is available now. I also got the longest shaft that I could.

On another note: I rarely run my front troller for walleye fishing (mainly muskie or in a real big wind). Would you consider a transom mount troller. If you mainly fish walleyes it is one of your best tools. To go with my bow mount I run a Minnkota Vantage 74 on the back. Quite possibly could be the one thing that I absolutely would not go without in my rig. You will want to throw some splash guards on the back as well with this. Just a thought. Good Luck

WW

Thanks WW. I have been eyeballing the Vantage. They run a pretty penny. Do you think I could get by with just my tiller (Suzuki 70hp) for the time being? I can order wave wackers with space left for a stern mount when the checkbook quits bouncing off the walls.

I run a 1800 Lund Pro V tiller with the 74lb maxum on the bow and a 74lb vantage in the back. Love them both! You can use your big motor in lieu of the vantage but it will get old fast in a light wind. Summers nearly over, save your pennies and do it right in the spring, you won't be sorry!

fleeced,
Like Jeff said, you can try to get by with the big motor but it will be too fast in a light wind to effectively fish (thinking live bait rigging/jigging). Plus you won't be able to turn as sharp in order to probe out little inside turns, points etc. If your serious about walleye fishing, whenever the checkbook stops bouncing around I would get one on the back of your rig. Actually I would opt for sacrificing the bow mount first and get the transom mount, but I almost exclusively walleye fish.

Like I said earlier, the Vantage is the one thing that I would absolutely not want to go without on my rig (followed closely by a good on-board charger and my Lowrance LCX-15MT gps/sonar). Good Luck!

WW

Thanks for all the input guys. I have finally made a decision. I'm going with a 65lb bow mount and waiting on the transom Vantage until next spring. I've ordered splash guards with a slot for an electric. So every time I fish, I'll be reminded to save some dough to buy the Vantage.

Thanks again.

Just make sure when you order up splashguards that they know what kind of trolling motor that you are putting on the back. Vantage takes a special kind. Even though costly, it is fun to get a new rig all decked out!!!