• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

24 volt wiring

GConda

Question

If I understand the help on wiring for 12 vt correctly but I want to wire 24 vt., do I hook one red wire to the positive side of battery 1 and one red wire to the negative side of battery 2? Then hook one black wire to the neg of battery 1 and one to the positive of battery 2? The wiring on my Pro-V 24 vt. system is not working and I have a on board charger that I need to hook to it also. Gary

8 answers to this question

Its a 2002 74lb Maxum mounted on a 2000 1900 Pro_V. It has 4 (2 red and 2 black)wires coming from the trolling motor to the batteries. It also has 2 wires from my on board charger.

IF YOU HAVE FOUR WIRES TO BOW MOUNT TROLLING PLUG THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE A FOUR WIRE PLUG ON THE BOAT. IF SO THEN YOU WOULD NOT PUT THE BATTERIES IN SERIES. YOU WOULD WIRE THE BATTERIES AS TWO SEPERATE 12 VOLT BATTERIES. YOU WOULD NEED A 12/24 VOLT PLUG FOR YOUR TROLLING MOTOR. IF SO THEN YOU WOULD PUT THE BLACK WIRE FROM TROLLING MOTOR TO THE NEG SPOT ON THE PLUG AND THE RED WIRE TO THE 24 HOLE ON PLUG. THE TROLLING MOTOR PLUG WILL PUT YOUR BATTERIES IN SERIES FOR YOU. IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE RED AND ONE BLACK ON THE ON BOARD CHARGER THE IT IS ONLY FOR 12 VOLTS. IF YOU MNEED MORE HELP GIVE ME A CALL AND I WILL HELP YOU. GOOD LUCK

------------------
JIM PAYNE

GConda,

The 12/24 v plug on the boat/trolling motor should do the jump for you. I run a 2001 1775 Pro V and the same trolling motor. Wires from the plug should be wired to two batteries like 2 seperate 12 volt batteries. You only have two wires coming from the charger? Is it just a one bank charger (for 1 12 volt battery)? You should be running a 2 bank charger. You will then have 2 red wires and 2 black ones that get hooked up to the batteries like two seperate 12 v.

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE ONBOARD YOU CAN BUY A CHARGING PLUG FROM THE DEALER (RED PLUG) AND USE THE STAYNCHARGE ORIGINAL CHARGING SYSTEM WHILE YOU TOW AND CHARGE YOUR BATTERIES FROM YOUR TOW VEHICLE THROUGH THE BOW MOUNT TROLLING PLUG. THIS SITE HAS THE PRODUCTS AT REALLY LOW PRICES JUST FOR FISHING MN MEMBERS. IF YOU NEED HELP WITH IT CONTACT RICK OR ONE OF THE OTHER PRO STAFFERS ON TGHIS SITE. GOOD LUCK

------------------
JIM PAYNE

Thks all for your help. I think I totally understand it now. I am pretty sure I have one or more of the wires from my 24 vt. plug hooked up wrong. I just need to get a tester to get A+ to A+ amd so forth. Gary