• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Comfortable Deer Stand Seat?

Grabs

Question

Does any one have any suggestions for a semi portable deer stand seat to be used in a permanent stand? My floor is not completely closed, so stools with 3 legs make me a bit worried. I have seen some good designs of a stool that sits on the rim of a 5 gal bucket. Does any one else out there have any good ideas?

Thanks in advance.

6 answers to this question

What I use is one of those square plastic boxes with a swivel seat on top. They are available at Fleet Farm for about $40.00. The top is hinged and there is plenty of room for storage and it is weather tight.

I also use the green square bucket from Fleet Farm as described by MNice. I like to put all of my stuff inside of it and carry it to my stand. The greatest two features of this seat is the comfortable back and the silent swivel seat. it comes with a styrofoam insert if you want to use it as a cooler for your lunch and thermos. $40.00 is a little more than a lot of people would pay for a portable eat, but I can assure you they are worth the money. I have two of them.

We've got those spin seats that fit on a 5 gallon bucket. All of the stands have a bucket firmly attached with deck screws. Make sure you drill holes in the bottom of the bucket so the water drains out. Works pretty well.

Grabs, I've seen a plastic seat that straps on to the tree. You can even strap this seat on a tree if you were walking down a trail and wanted to sit and rest. I made one myself years ago. It's about as large as the seat from a portable stand. Check Fleet Farm.

Grabs -

I have a seat I got several years agao made by API I think. It straps on the tree just like a tree stand and then folds out with a padded aluminium frame, and nylon camo seat with a zipper pouch underneath. It looks exactly as if you had cut the top part of the frame and seat off one of their magnum tree stands. Don't know if they still make the seat seperately or not, but mine still works great! I take it out and hang it in my stand the first morning and take it down when I'm done for the season. Fold flat and ties easily onto my backpack. Good Luck!

Gadget

Well this is what we use in our perm stands and it is quite comfortable and easy to install. Although this is a permanent seat. Get a plastic school chair(plastic stacking type. Not folding or anything with fabric. Hack saw the legs off the chair. Take a small piece(usually 5" x 7" will do but depends on chair) of treated plywood(5/8 or 3/4" thickness) and screw it into the base that the legs attached to. Then take a 3/4 floor flange and screw that into the plywood in the center. Drill a few small hole in the seat of the chair(drainage holes). Take a piece of 1'x1' treated plywood(1/2 - 3/4" thickness) screw that into the flooring(make sure to anchor it into each board it comes into contact with). Take another 3/4" floor flange and lag bolt ti into one of the boards through the plywood near the center of your stand. If you attach the floor flange into just one board it will flex. The plywood stiffens the whole thing up. Put some heavy grease(high pressure grease) into the threads of the floor flanges. Take a piece of 18" 3/4" threaded pipe and screw into the floor flanges(floor first then seat). Other than the seat all supplies are at your local lumber yard. You'll have a sturdy, comfortable and quiet rotating seat that will always be at your stand. That heavy grease lasts for years. But you can always add new stuff if you what to.

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 10-17-2001).]