• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hustler Props

klbowe

Question

I have tried two Hustler props on my four stroke Yamaha , Both caused the motor to vibrate and squeel at around 1500 RPM.

The first prop caused a extremely loud noise like a loose fan belt when backing off the throttle from cruising speed to neutral.

I like the design and thought behind them but I did give up and install the OEM prop.

Has anyone had any luck with these props ?

5 answers to this question

i wonder if it is the thrust washer behind the prop thats causing the problem and not the prop itself, but im not an expert on it,, if your in the cities try this guy hes pretty good with matching props to boats,, formula marine in brooklyn center off lakeland and 62nd

I work for a boat dealer and we have sold almost 200 of the Hustler's and have had very little problems. Have had 3 fail. The perfomance on most boats is great, especially compared to Yamaha's aluminum props. We have not ran into any noise issues except with 1 of the stainless props and that is fairly common with most stainless props. Be sure you have the correct hub kit and it is installed per the instructions.

My boat is brand new and the dealer installed the prop . I did install a second Hustler prop following by the instructions that came with the hub kit.
I do not think it is a installation problem because the dealer should know how to install the Hustler Props they have done so many.

After installing the second prop I informed the dealer that the vibration was still there. There reply was:
"we have sold hundreds of these props and had no problems". This statement from the dealer may be true but does NOTHING to solve the vibration and squeeling problem my motor has with a Hustler prop installed.

The dealer and I decided to try a Yamaha prop which worked fine.

The Hustler prop is alot more expensive than the OEM prop and as you say should perform better. I paid for the Hustler prop and to trade even up for a less expensive lower quality prop makes little sense.

That is why I am trying to find out if these props are worth a $hit.

I would consider trying a third Hustler prop.
But I am not willing to have a prop on my boat that vibrates and squeels like loose fan belt every time I back off on the throttle .