• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

portable shack license

galaxyman

What exactly is the law in relation to posting the DNR # or owners info on portable shacks? I have it on my permanent shack. If I read the laws correctly I must also place it on my portable yet on the ice I see no portables with this on them. I sure do not want to permanently paint it on my portable!!

This is directly from the DNR HSOforum:

"All shelters, which include dark houses, fish houses, and portable shelters, placed on the ice of Minnesota waters must have the complete name and address, driver’s license number or Minnesota DNR number of the owner plainly and legibly displayed on the outside in letters, and figures at least 2 inches in height. Dark houses, fish houses, and portable shelters placed on the ice for shelter while

fishing must be licensed, except that a license is not required on border waters with Wisconsin, Iowa, and South Dakota. A tag, furnished with the license, must be attached to the exterior in a readily visible location."

A lot of them don't have them.

Yep, you need your DNR # (or DL or name/address) in 2" high letters on your portable, plus your registration tag. I took a plastic FORSALE sign and applied 2" high reflective stickers on the back to write out my DNR#. I put this in the plastic pouch of my portable - works just fine.

I got a warning on Gunflint two years ago. The CO told me DL was good enough, he told me to write it on my shack with black marker. Since I have a black shack, I questioned his advise. What I've done is printed my DL off my computer with large numbers on plain white paper. Then I laminated it and left enough to stick my Shelter tag on there next to it. I used one of those guns, clothing or furniture stores use to fasten it. It kind of hangs down on each end but doesn't blow off or wreck the shack. Each year I just add the new permit, which the same CO reminded me since I have three shacks, I need to buy three dark house permits.

Quote:

Each year I just add the new permit, which the same CO reminded me since I have three shacks, I need to buy three dark house permits.

A CO told you this? You don't need a licence on the shack unless it is occupied. You can transfer 1 Licence to all your shacks so long as you are not in more than one shack at the same time.

I got a carabiner (sp?) one of those big clips that mountian climbers use or key chain clips and stuck my licence to that. Then when I go to my hard sided house I clip it to an eye-bolt thats screwed in to the wall by the door and when using portable I clip it to that.

arbuck

You can get a duplicate shelter tag. I got one for my second portable the other day and it cost only $2.50. I just asked the girl at the counter if I could get a duplicate tag and she printed it out.

I have had a fishtrap for 5-6 years(?) only been checked once. I still don't have my name or number on the house. I just carry my lis. in my wallet. Just shows how often you get checked. I wouldn't put anything permenent on my house, I'll use a notebook page cover and a pin when the time comes. grin.gif

most portables have a window to but somethin in , i cut out a piece of cardboard to fit this and wrote my info on that then when i use is i just slide my liscence in to the slot and then take it out when i am done never had any problems doing this