• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drift Sock rope length

cashcrews

Question

I just bought a drift sock, and the instructions say to use at least 5 feet of rope, but the longer the rope the slower the boat will drift.

My question is: "How much rope do you recommend putting out for drifting with a drift sock?"

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Cashcrews

6 answers to this question

I like a rope just long enough for the sock to inflate properly - about 5' sounds right. You definately don't want it too long. I backtroll with my sock when I need to and you sometimes have to go forward to get out snags etc. so I like to make sure the sock stays completely under the boat and not near the motor.

I think I have about ten feet out , but I use mine just for drifting.. I have heard people use them back trolling but I am not sure how they set up.

I can't remember if this is in the instructions but if you run a rope through the center of the sock and tie it to the small end of the sock then about three feet from the end of your tow rope. When it is time to pull the sock out you can pull in the drag line until you reach this rope then pull the sock inside out enough to drain it, it beats waiting for 15 gallons of water to drain out the small end. Alot less weight to lift.

When drift fishing, I leave just enough line to inflate it properly. As mentioned tangles are a reason as well as spooking the fish since the sock sinks deeper in the water. I leave mine short. I tie to the center cleat so that the boat is postioned sideways, allowing all to fish comortably. Make sure the length does not allow the sock to get caught in the motor regardless of the application of it. Also tie a length of rope from the exit hole to the main straps, so when you pull in the end of the sock it collapses and allows it to come in freely.

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 08-19-2003).]